Thread: SMU
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #41
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
I think our defense is designed to take away high percentage shots (at the rim). Every defensive scheme has a flaw and ours is the 3 in the corner or on the wing. The only way you can prevent those threes is play man 2 man and have 5 elite defensive players that can square up and not get beat off the dribble. That is highly unlikely and we don’t have that personnel.

I think Cronin has always played the percentages when it comes to D. Traditionally an open 3 is lower percentage shot that a layup. I do think that the trend in basketball to 3 point shooters is making Cronin second guess the D scheme...just from listening to him talk.
I'm not convinced the scheme is really at fault. We just have players this year who get lazy on D or try to do too much and make dumb mistakes.

We have guys helping on a driver who is already being doubled by a big or who has no shot or who is going to get a jumpshot at best. We had guys last night stuck in no mans land because they moved to help when they shouldn't be helping and left an excellent shooter wide open. Guys need to know when to help and whether they should help based on how good the guy they are defending is at 3-point shooting.

We have guys who should know better (Broome, Scott) and are plenty experienced who routinely make these mistakes. It's mental where they try to do too much and they end up giving up a wide open 3 to an excellent shooter.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote