Thread: UCF Part II
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2023, 11:42 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think it shows how a lot of college teams don't scout effectively or can't execute a scouting report. Our PnR is very one dimensional. Our bigs are not a shooting threat and DDJ generally isn't trying to get to the rim. This isn't like Kyle Washington being able to pop for the three or Cumberland being a threat to drive hard at the rim if there's no hedge. Our PnR can be stopped by simply sagging off the big and the guard fighting through the screen.

DDJ has been good at taking advantage recently though. Much better than hero ball.
I would agree with you here but DDJ does have a floater and mid range shot to work with if the big is not available. Even though he doesn't get to the rim (which I would prefer)...there are more options that can come out of the PnR like DDJ finding other players than the big to kick out to. He's done a pretty good job of finding players lately in all aspects. He's found a way to skip passes by keeping his head up.

I would not mind seeing (as has been said by a few)...moving him on ball more and maybe trade some minutes for MAW with Dan. Memphis did not allow DDJ to get the ball on the wing and it is tiring watching him run back and forth to try to get that done. Memphis will do that again. The game plan for Memphis should be to let him bring the ball up more so he doesn't have to fight so hard to get open. MAW doesn't provide nearly the dynamics of passing that DDJ does. It's time! And a nation leading assist streak of 5 or more in 13 games is all the evidence you need. He's already playing too many minutes and he's playing as hard as he can on D. Let's not run him ragged by making him run back and forth from side to side hoping to get a good screen. He's gotta be getting tired.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote