View Single Post
Old 11-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #324
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
What I find hard to fathom is rebounding not being better than last year. Both Vik and Ody were better than Ado and Koval. Plus we add a little bit of length with Nolley over Newman. Not much else has changed.

Defensively I see the problems. Less rim protection. Nolley in for Newman. I suppose Rob is an upgrade over Mike/MAW.
Nolley and Kalu are both guys who's numbers rebounding wise are quite a bit worse than you'd expect given their size/athleticism. Kalu doesn't move particularly well, so that could play into it. But I think overall it's simply lack of effort/will to get every ball. We'll see if Wes can get it out of them, it's hard to take a guy who hasn't fought for every rebound over the last 4 years and suddenly turn him into that sort of guy.

Phinisee and Newman are the only guards/wings we have who are prover above average rebounders at their position. If DDJ, Nolley, Davenport and Kalu are below average rebounders at their positions (historically, they all are) that's a lot to make up for. Even if Ody/Vik do well, we need good rebounding at multiple positions.

I know I've said it already, but I don't think DDJ, Nolley, Davenport and Kalu can be on the floor at the same time. I don't care who the 5th guy is, you can't have 4 guys who are weak at defense (and potentially rebounding) and expect to be competitive against good teams. I know those 4 are the sexy picks to start, but if they are all who 3/4 years worth of stats say they are, somebody (Kalu most likely) is going to end up spending the majority of their time on the bench. Scoring points only helps so much when you can't get stops and can't rebound.

Last edited by skyblade; 11-07-2022 at 03:44 PM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote