View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #128
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
WH, I've coached a lot of basketball in my life, but the 1-3-1 is a defense that I really never had anybody run against me. I've never really given much thought on the best way to beat it. It should be vulnerable on the baseline and in the corners for sure, but in general the same principles apply to beating any zone, quick ball movement, overloading certain areas of the zone with more players than they can defend, and finding the open players on the weak side of the zone, penetrating and drawing the zone to the ball handler and then finding the open man. It's looked at as somewhat of a gimmick defense, which is why you don't see it very often. When it gets sprung on someone, it seems to confuse teams for a while. The only guy I've seen use it as a primary defense is John Beilein when he was at Richmond and West Virginia. I'm not sure if he still uses it at Michigan or not, but it was very good for him at WVU.

I don't think I answered your question, and that's simply because I honestly have never given much thought on how to beat it. Troy, Evans, Shaq, and Justin....lol....I'd say try them all and see what works.
Hi-Low action with the bigs is important too. Forces the middle of the zone to pick who to guard and ultimately collapse on the middle. If you can get action with a guard rotating to the corner, a big with the ball at the free throw line and another on the block, you can create a mini 3 on 2 scenario. Have to be cognizant of the guard at the top of the zone collapsing down. Key is quick, good decision making by the big at the free throw line. Have to be willing to shoot from 15 feet too.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote