Thread: 20-21 thread
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Moving on to the 4 we are not simply going to replace what Scott did the last half of the year and maybe not even the first half. So I think we take a slight hit here since he was playing 30+ minutes. We have a lot of options with a lot more questions. We should have an option to play without Vogt at times and use two 4's.

Rap is probably penciled in here as the starter with Dou hopefully splitting duties at the 5 and if needed splitting at the 4 as well depending on the development of the supporting cast. We have mentioned both of their abilities in the discussion on the 5 spot.

There is a lot of hype around Eason but a lot of fans also thinking frosh will be frosh with limited impact. I tend to side with limited impact here because of the veterans in front. Gary Clark had little to no competition at his position as a frosh. But Eason did finish the season strong. From video I see the promise but I think he still could be a year away. He will get some time to show what he can do though.

Davenport. I honestly would love to see him just work on his outside shot and defense and be a 3 and D guy on the wing and not a 4. I don't see any meaningful minutes for him at the 4 (in his career). 3 and D could get him somewhere as a 6'7" wing. Undersized 4 who can't shoot...is a closed door.

Vik Lakhin. Tough to say here but I think Brannen was bullish on this guy over others so there is some obvious promise here. Very little video but has managed somehow to get a pretty high scout ranking which tells me it's more about his upside than current form. I mean how many scouts saw him in person? I would put him in the Monster Factory and red shirt the guy if my gut is correct. He's young and his body and skill level doesn't look ready for AAC punishment.

Small ball. It's always an option especially if Harvey and Madsen end up being legit. Not much problem running wings at the 4 who are 6'5" plus. Obviously the benefits would need to outweigh the problems. If DeJulius is available and we need to run with he and MAW...we may see some small ball lineups with a makeshift wing 4.

Once again our versatility is pretty nice but our inexperience and questions are pretty big too. I am going to give Scott credit here and call this one a slight loss. So I think so far we have a slight gain at 5 and a slight loss loss at 4.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote