View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Let's discuss who the new coaching/administrative team might be.

Do you know of assistant candidates you'd think elevate the program?

CURRENT UC EMPLOYEES:

I hope we can keep director of strength and conditioning coach Mike Rehfeldt. He's been doing good things with developing the players to stay healthy and in shape a whole season.

Cronin stated he wanted Savino on his staff, but he was less committal about his other assistants, even stating that they might not be the strongest because their experience is mostly in the midwest/east coast. So, Antwon Jackson, Mike Berger, JaQuon Parker, T.J. Wolfe, and Greg Youncofski could all be looking for a job if Cronin or Brannen doesn't see them as a fit.

Jackson has done okay in recruiting. Not great. If he doesn't go to UCLA, it might be worth keeping him for continuity with the players. He is a good position coach.

Youncofski just finished his first season as a fully fledged assistant, but has spent his entire career with UC basketball and has been viewed as a rising star. He was a student manager at Kansas.

Mike Berger has been with the program nine seasons total from student manager to director of ops, video coordination and player development. I could see Cronin taking this guy unless UCLA has their own Mike Berger that they want to hold on to.

Parker, one of my favorite players for Cronin, is likely going to be looking for work. He's young and hasn't had much of chance yet, so who knows. He's a hard worker.

BRANNEN'S BOYS:

Brannen actually has a staff that should check a lot of boxes at UC.

NKU doesn't have an associate head coach, but Sean Dwyer would likely be that guy. Spent four years with Brannen at Alabama, but also had seasons working at Arkansas, Florida, as well as time as a student manager at Michigan State. He's done everything within a program and should be considered a great hire IMO.

Tim Morris has been an assistant for two seasons at NKU. Also worked for Eric Musselman at Nevada, Kennesaw State, and as a grad assistant at Alabama. Played for Mike Montgomery and Trent Johnson while at Stanford. This guy would likely be a good hire.

Jake Luhn is NKU director of basketball operations just one year. I'm not clear if he was a position coach or recruiting for Brannen, but he was an associate head coach at Longwood University and was a wings coach. Considered an impact recruiter there. Also worked for St. Bonaventure.

Chris Shumate has worked under Brannen from his start at NKU. Before that worked at Western KY. He played for Cronin at Murray State and was at UC for six years handling ops and player development. He knows this region and is considered a strong recruiter, I'm just not sure how strong.
The NKU fans on twitter seem to think Shumate is a top candidate to replace Brannen as head coach. Seems like he's very popular among NKU fans. So would probably be a good get for us, but might not be available (though we might be able to offer him more money as an assistant then NKU can offer him to be head coach).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote