View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #34
CinciSportsFan

CinciSportsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'm guessing height is one difference, a few inches makes a big difference. Mason also seems to be less able to create his own shot. He could still be a solid backup PG and maybe eventually a starter.

Gabe looks like a solid four year starter, potentially a star as an upperclassman.

I'm not sure the 2-for-1 is worth it though. Seems like we should be able to get a 150ish rated player without needing to take on a 300+ rated player as well. I know a lot of people love Brannen's recruiting, but to me it still doesn't look any better then Cronin's, and our best recruits (if we get Gabe/Mason) are a guy with legal troubles that kept teams away and a guy whose desire to play with his brother kept some teams away.

The other big concern I have is the lack of quality bigs. As I've consistently said, skilled big men are the hardest guys to recruit. We've gotten two 7' transfers (Vogt/Sorolla) who look rather unimpressive. Our tallest freshman recruit is a 6'7" SF. If Mason/Gabe commit it would leave us with 2 scholarships remaining for next year. With only 2 guys over 6'7" on the roster for next year (Diarra/Vogt), I'd hope both scholarships get used on bigs.

I know others aren't concerned about our lack of bigs as I am, so hopefully I am proven wrong. I feel like I've seen too many games where a P5 team with a pair of quality bigs can just dominate a mid-major team that lacks size on the inside.
We are only 5 months into Brannens tenure and the quality of recruits interest and visits is definetely up from the Cronin years. Sure the guys are similar rating to what Cronin would pull but I fully expect only better and better recruiting results over the next 5 years. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm very excited about the future with Brannen.
CinciSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote