View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #35
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
That makes sense. TBH I'm not as big on some of the advanced metrics. I'm a big baseball guy and theres a growing trend towards sabermetrics. While some stats are useful some just seem like they're reaching. Same here with some of the stats. A lot more goes into how effective a player is or isn't than stats can calculate.
I get this, but I think a lot of the "reaching" is due to a misinterpretation of a stat. In baseball, almost no stat gives a true player value, although WAR is an attempt. The drawback of WAR is that defense is highly uncertain. wRC+ is probably the closest we have to a true value that is predictive, though only useful for hitting.

Advanced stats can tell you about a player's individual skill set and how to build a roster and develop strategy based on that. They can't really give you concrete conclusions about how much better one player is than another. Same is true in basketball, where ORtg and Usage tell you certain things about a player, but not necessarily how valuable they really are at winning games.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote