Thread: Memphis
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #97
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Maybe all the players should wear the scouting report on their arm like the NFL QB's have the plays?

They can go through a series of checklists on D.

Q1. Is their best shooter standing all by himself anywhere?
A1. Go stand next to him

Q2. How many players are already guarding the player you want to guard?
A2. If it's more than 1...guard someone else
it's really as simple as it has always been with this defense - do not overhelp. period.

it's pretty clear that they've been told what to do and sometimes just ad-lib. the easiest example that sticks out the most is keith overhelping to dig on a driver while sagging off of martin in the corner when we were up, i think, 6. just williams reported that savino was yelling "no" at keith.

i think our more senior team last year did a better job of doing what they were supposed to do. i don't know with these guys if it's the obsession with deflections or what, but most of the time people are yelling and screaming about our defensive scheme, it was an unnecessary overhelp on a drive/penetration that either left the initial shooter open or started the sequence of events that led to the open shot.

don't overhelp - it's the on-ball defender's job to stop his man and get help from a rim protector at the bucket.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote