View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 09:36 AM   #239
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
You can't say that about everyone on our team though, even the guys shooting good shots. Just look at their true shooting percentages. MAW was only 45.9 last year and 50.0 for his career despite much better shot selection. Same with Newman at 48.0 last year and 49.2 for his career (though he did have a good sophomore season). Ody was 50.2, Hensley 47.5. Lakhin, at 54.9, was the only efficient scorer on the team.

Players who can put up similar efficiency numbers on higher volume with poorer shot selection are clearly better shooters. With that in mind, Davenport, Nolley, Ezikpe, DDJ, and Lakhin are our best scorers, I would say in that order. Nolley will easily be the best if he can repeat his sophomore form. Lakhin could be really good but his volume is too low to tell so far.

Since we don't have a good system here, someone has to create offense. Last year DDJ and Davenport were the only options. Now we have Nolley and Ezikpe, plus Phinisee as a distributor. So even though we're bringing in two more guys who take bad shots, the offense should improve. Obviously nowhere close to our 2017 team that had 3 guys at 58.5 or better.
Nice assessment. I would add that a Wes style vs a Cronin style is drastically different in shot selection and tempo. Therefore I would assume our efficiency will lag behind once again. But it's also possible that some of these guys would have much better efficiency in slower tempo with much safer shot selections. We aren't doing that style so we won't know.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote