Thread: Analytics
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 01:47 PM   #84
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I agree that +/- is best as a supplement, but I would argue that is true for pretty much all stats. I don't think it is worse than any other stat over the course of the season. Per game variance is high in almost every stat.

Over the course of the season luck should pretty much even out, so if a guys +/- is higher or lower than you'd expect it's a reason to look deeper into their play. Even over the course of the season it could be luck, but statistically it probably isn't. It's worth breaking down if it's just one or two outlier games or a trend, but that's hard to do with +/- because it is not very well tracked.

I think DDJ's +/- was low for two reasons on the season. One is that he was not very efficient on offense, he scored a lot but he also stalled the ball and took bad shots. The second is he is undersized on defense and teams took advantage of that. But as others have said it is team related, DDJ being undersized was part of the problem, but the bigger part was we were forced to put DDJ on bigger guards because we didn't have a better option.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote