View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 08:35 PM   #257
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
On the other hand, MAW played over twice as many minutes which meant more fatigue. He was our highest rated defensive guard and a top 1-3 defender on the team by almost every measure on EvanMiya (MAW, Newman and Ado were all very close), though Newman was better until his injury led to him having a really bad 5 or so game stretch.

Rob wasn't their highest rated defensive guard (though he was top 3 in most measures as well) and his lack of minutes meant he could go all out when he was in.

I won't claim MAW is a better defender, but I also don't believe it's possible to claim Phinisee is. Until we see them play (and maybe not even then) it's going to be unclear. My point is you can argue either of them based on different criteria, but many fans have already crowned Phinisee the clear starter based on his defense. This despite MAW being a slightly better shooter, with better assist and TO rates.

Nolley I see as best off the catch-and-shoot (most guys are though). I'm not sure he's a good enough shooter off the dribble to be a threat as a point forward. His TO rate is also uncomfortably high for a point forward. Plus he's too willing to take long jumpers. Maybe he can do it, but I wouldn't bet on it. DDJ on the other hand I think would be better as a PG and the team would probably be better off with him playing there (given that MAW and Phinisee are probably our two worst shooters).
I don’t put a lot of stock in D ratings off algorithms. You can’t measure on ball D with stats. Offense is a lot different. D is a crap shoot. I have seen JD out there as a very good defender and that is just not true at all. And we all know that

The IU fanbase thinks Rob is excellent on D and I am guessing our coaches do too.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote