View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 12:07 PM   #282
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
We should play our best players, but it's not unthinkable Reed/Skillings or even Hensley/Ody could be one of our 5 best players.

The comparison point is that our projected top players (DDJ, Newman, Nolley, Davenport) really aren't that good. We don't have a Gary Clark/Jacob Evans type who is good to great in all facets of the game. None of our starters have the potential to be even borderline NBA guys (unless Vik starts at the 5).

If Skillings/Reed/Hensley can come in, shoot 35+% from three, play quality defense and rebound well that's likely enough to start taking minutes from almost anyone on the team.
I don't even know what we're talking about anymore. Any player at any level who can shoot 35%+ from three, play quality defense and rebound well is going to play, even if Gary Clark and Jacob Evans are in front of them.

My point is it's going to be a lot harder for these frosh to earn 20 minutes on the wings because we already have 3 upperclassmen at those positions who are our best players on paper. Cumberland had to compete with only Evans, Johnson (who was solid, but not a 30+ min player), and to a small extent Jenifer (who was mostly a backup PG). He was going to be getting minutes simply for being healthy on that team.

I'm sure Skillings will see action every game, but barring injuries or a lineup shift, he's going to have to prove his effectiveness to get even 10 minutes. I think that's a good thing and I hope he's ready to contribute in a big way. Reed (or any of the forwards) might have a bigger opportunity because it's more likely one of the guys at those positions will not develop and be relegated to the bench.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote