View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 07:40 AM   #283
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I don't even know what we're talking about anymore. Any player at any level who can shoot 35%+ from three, play quality defense and rebound well is going to play, even if Gary Clark and Jacob Evans are in front of them.

My point is it's going to be a lot harder for these frosh to earn 20 minutes on the wings because we already have 3 upperclassmen at those positions who are our best players on paper. Cumberland had to compete with only Evans, Johnson (who was solid, but not a 30+ min player), and to a small extent Jenifer (who was mostly a backup PG). He was going to be getting minutes simply for being healthy on that team.

I'm sure Skillings will see action every game, but barring injuries or a lineup shift, he's going to have to prove his effectiveness to get even 10 minutes. I think that's a good thing and I hope he's ready to contribute in a big way. Reed (or any of the forwards) might have a bigger opportunity because it's more likely one of the guys at those positions will not develop and be relegated to the bench.
Yah I don't think we are talking about guys at the middle and bottom of the roster cracking into the big minutes but just finding their way into the middle of the roster rotation for somewhere between 10-20.

We have 13 guys on this roster (Hensley being the only returnee getting less than 10mpg). When Clark came on board there were 2 PF's and one of those was Q (Ellis and Deberry played the 5). When Evans came on board there were 11 guys listed with stats on Torvik and 3 of those were Tobler, Q and a frosh Jenifer. Evans cracks the top 8 without much of a fight. And of course he was good enough to crack the top 5.

I would be ecstatic if either frosh earned 15mpg. Vik, Ody and Kalu are all going to get decent minutes almost by default. Foul trouble at the 5 will almost guarantee all 3 get 10 mpg there. I would expect the leader between 15-20. And I would expect 1 or 2 of them to see a few minutes at the 4.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote