View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat8290 View Post
Quite frankly, I'm concerned about the UC athletic department. Having been a part of and spectator for nearly 40 years (started paying attention in 1976), UC athletics has spent years and years low balling all coaches. When the coaches become successful, UC usually lets them go. They are not willing to pay for the coaches and their local recruiting efforts. Therefore, much of the inroads made by these successful coaches in local recruiting is wasted by the penny pinching administration. We spend millions in facilities but somehow drop the ball when it comes to coaching. The only impressive coaching tenure was that of Brian Kelly. The administration nearly kept Kelly here, but ND was too much. Take a look at the standings at the AAC website. Hardly, the UC athletic department is not worth talking about. Football, tied for first but does not win tiebreaker, Men's soccer finishes 7th of 8 teams, women's soccer finishes 6th of 10 teams, women's volleyball finishes 7th of 11 teams, men's basketball tied for 3rd of 11 teams, women's basketball, 9th of 11 teams, baseball 8th of 8 teams, If we seek a new conference and are banking on a great performance in the AAC, I'm not seeing it at all. We are a middle of the road AAC team at this point and unless we start investing in coaches and recruiting, we will remain at that level and hardly fodder for the Big 12.
All I'll say is money doesn't grow on trees. When and only when fans/donors put money into the athletic department will they be able to compete at the same level as the big boys. UC will not get tax dollars nor will they raise tuition to fund the athletic department. Nippert's expansion was 100% done and funded as a means to create a new revenue stream that didn't exist prior. And that funding came through private donations and through advanced ticket sales.

And I'd say Huggins had a pretty good coaching tenure here and he didn't leave because we wouldn't pony up the money other schools would. I would say the same for Cronin. He's compensated very well and we offered more money to Dantonio and Jones to stay.