Thread: Connecticut
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
I think this is a must-win in regards to winning the league, but certainly not must-win to make the tourney, though. The goal at the beginning of the year, for me at least, was to simply make the tournament. I think we've impressed some, so maybe the goal has changed a little, but don't get too far ahead and think we're ready to be a 6 seed in the tourney. A loss wouldn't be the end of the world. We're currently on pace for an 8/9 seed, and I don't think a W/L would change that much, depending on how we finish the season obviously.

All that said, I think we should, and will, win it. Home-court will be big in this one. I expect the guys to be extremely fired up in this one, since they know they could've very easily won in Hartford. It's a big game in terms of perception and conference standing, but it's not a "MUST WIN" as some are saying IMO. Hope that all makes sense; I'm running on a few hours of sleep lol.

UC 63
UConn 56
Definitely makes sense. The only thing that would concern me if we lose is that we'd risk starting to venture into the territory where we wouldn't control our own destiny. UConn would have 2 heads up wins against us and they have shown they can get hot and win the conference tourney if need be. We'd also be at 3 losses with road games vs the top 2 teams, road game at Temple and a Memphis rematch. There could easily be 2+ losses in there and we really don't know how many teams the committee will take from our conference (especially if a random team wins the tournament). I definitely think we're a tournament team, but we must hold serve at home. So I agree this isn't a "must win" in terms of making the tournament per se, but we might be fighting an uphill battle moving forward if we lose bc we'd essentially be kicking the "must win" can down the road where it could come back and bite us if one of the tougher games later truly does become a "must win".
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote