View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
Bearcats92

Bearcats92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk_a_holic View Post
I come in peace. I watched every game the past 33 years except in 2006 when 14 Northwestern State beat 3 Iowa in the 1st round. Taped it and deleted it. Anyways, I picked you to win and go to the Elite 8 but here is a synopsis of Iowa and what to expect. Player rundown:

Cook- 6-9 Jr. Leading scorer and very quick and explosive. Good hook shot but no offense at all beyond 5 feet. Decent rebounder but not great (8 per game). 67% foul shooter and goes to the line a lot.

Garza 6-11 SO. 13 ppg and a good center under the basket and shoots the 3 fairly well. 83 % foul shooter as well. Pretty tough but is a HORRENDOUS rebounder at 4.5 per game. At least 3 times a game the ball is just taken from him. Also, when he is under the basket and he puts it on the deck, well, good for you for forcing another TO.

Weiskamp- 6-6 FR. 11ppg and had a strong year and hit the game winner at Rutgers. One of the only guys athletic enough to finish at the rim. Great rebounder for a 3.

Bohannon- 6-1 JR He needs like 3 more triples to set the all time record at Iowa and has a whole year left. He can go 35 minutes as a pedestrian and then go off for 15 points at will late. Easily best clutch player at Iowa and one of the best clutch players I've ever seen at any level. Indiana's radio guys only Reggie Miller was as clutch as he has been. 90% foul shooter and primary ball handler. He is SLOW on defense but can hit a 25 footer with a guy in his face as well. An absolute 2 trying to play the 1.

Moss- 6-6 JR. Great shooter usually and a guy who can go off and score an insane amount in a short period. Had 19 points in 90 seconds in a game last year nailing 3's and he is an 80 plus % FT shooter. Worst handles of a guard this side of 9th grade when penetrating but can create shot. He is either on fire or total non-factor. You will know 10 minutes into the game which one shows up.

BENCH
Kriener at 6'9 and Baer at 6'7 most relevant and probably the keys to beating Cincinnati if we are going to do it. Kriener is tough and fairly skilled around the basket and physical. Baer will do everything well except hit free throws. Baer could be a leading scorer.

Iowa leads the nation in FT attempts and hits as a team at about 74%. My biggest hope for an Iowa win (remember I picked you to win and actually get to Elite 8) is we draw fouls and get your bigs in trouble so we can feed Cook, Garza, Baer and Kriener. That would open up our 3 and when we establish the paint and get the opponents big man in foul trouble, we get to the bonus and free throw the opponent to death late especially with a 90% FT shooter as our primary ball handler. We will be very much out athlete. That won't be a question. This is how a very (white) generally slow team won 22 overall and 10 conference wins in arguably the toughest conf. in the nation top to bottom.

I pick Cincy 72 Iowa 69. Iowa will hold Cumberland to about his average of 18 up to about 21 but will focus on him and do OK. Like Harper (7 point per game scorer at Rutgers) getting his career high of 21 and then 27 both against Iowa or the 2 ppg guy at Ohio State who had 8 3'w and 29 points against us, history says one of your 6-8 ppg guys will go off and be the difference to a narrow win.
Thanks for the breakdown. I hope you are right about the Cats making to to the elite 8. I got them losing in the sweet 16 to Nova.
Bearcats92 is offline   Reply With Quote