Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #121
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Scott just had his worst game of his career, he has been inconsistent but not bad. Against Tulsa he nearly had a double-double and played reasonably well.

Scott's problem offensively is that he wants to play facing the basket. He can hit the mid-range jumper (see vs Tulsa) but he is too willing to settle for the long-range just inside the 3-point line jumper. He also isn't consistently good enough off the dribble to not make mistakes. The only thing he is consistently good at is passing, but that only works when teams are dumb enough to guard his long jumper. He needs to learn to play with his back to the basket to be consistent, but I doubt he will.

I wouldn't give Diarra all his minutes, but I would definitely start giving Diarra minutes. Fredericks continues to be useless, four guards with Moore in works okay, but at some point Cumberland at the 4 on D is going to get exposed. Diarra brings the size we need and the shooting ability we need. Yes, he gets out of position on O and D at times, but we need him, so maybe it's time to throw him into the fire at let him learn on the go.
Agreed. Maybe not all minutes but he should be getting some. His talent is there just needs experience. He could give us more than scott does
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #122
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats92 View Post
I think Keith and Trevor Moore arent utilized properly. I would like to see Moore get some more minutes and when he is in run some off the ball plays for him to get him an open look at a 3.
I would just like an offense that isn’t throw it around a bit on the perimeter while Jarron runs his butt off around the court from side to side. I would like to see way more movement from everyone else. I’d also like to see, if Mick is going to continue to rely on 1:1 so much, that he runs plays to get some other good matchups, rather than just Cumberland. I feel he tried for Scott sometime, which is good...though Scott has proven most of the time to be unable to take advantage when he is “the guy”. I’d like to see Williams posting up for sure.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #123
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Who? Brooks misses 3 layups/dunks a game. Tre is an energy guy, what offense skill set does he have. Keith is a good slasher but air balls or banks 3 shots a game. Good shooters don’t do that. Broome has had 2 good games in the last month. I like these guys, and I don’t think mick is a great offensive mind, but what do we expect? We can’t shoot at all. Talent is the problem. Can we play better, of course. Especially in this league but we don’t have the players
Not sure what you are watching. This team is rated higher offensively in Kenpom then last years team was (and I believe last years team was Mick's best ever offensively). We are athletically and physically bigger/faster/stronger then almost any team we will play in conference.

Brooks has turned into a solid offensive player, he is shooting 62% from the field. He may miss a layup/dunk here and there, but he has become a threat offensively.

Keith also is a major threat. He can hit a three now and then and is always a threat to get to the rim. He does take ill advised mid-range shots now and then, but he is a consistent double digits scorer.

Tre hasn't figured it out yet. He wants to be a stretch 4, but he doesn't have the shooting ability to be one. He needs to figure that out.

Broome wants to be a bulk shooter and a 3 point shooter at times. He needs to figure out his game is driving to the rim. When he does that he is excellent. When he is taking early 3's he is an offensive liability.

Good shooters miss, most of the miss more often then they make shots.

Defense is our problem.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #124
Uclawrugby

Uclawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Always love posts defending a college coach by saying the players suck. It’s college....he brings the players in.

I do think there is a lot of truth to Mick playing a little scared at the end of games, not allowing a real offense to be run. But in reality we hardly run one most of the game.

I understand what mick is doing, because as a fan I want Cumberland to have the ball all the time when we need a basket. But I’m a nervous fan, I’d expect more from the coach.

Interesting that Mick called out his assistant coaches in the post game, I wonder what that was all about...anyone know?
Not sure but no one has really talked about the impact of loosing Larry Davis. He was with Mick for a long time and I got the impression he may have had some insights that Mick lacked. I was at the Purdue tourney game he coached that was a big win. It may be something to bear in mind as we see how the team adjusts or doesn’t adjust against higher caliber talent.
Uclawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #125
cincycpaw
Epic Member

Also - did anyone see Hurley staring down some UC fan that was yelling at him as he was leaving the floor (by the tunnel?).

This guy is already my least favorite coach.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #126
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
This team is rated higher offensively in Kenpom then last years team was (and I believe last years team was Mick's best ever offensively).
Just to clarify, we are scoring 3.2 points less per 100 possessions than last year although we are ranked 3 spots higher. For whatever reason offense appears to be down everywhere this season.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #127
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Always love posts defending a college coach by saying the players suck. It’s college....he brings the players in.

I do think there is a lot of truth to Mick playing a little scared at the end of games, not allowing a real offense to be run. But in reality we hardly run one most of the game.

I understand what mick is doing, because as a fan I want Cumberland to have the ball all the time when we need a basket. But I’m a nervous fan, I’d expect more from the coach.

Interesting that Mick called out his assistant coaches in the post game, I wonder what that was all about...anyone know?
Not defending mick. Agree with everything you said. He needs to recruit better players. Always said that. It’s not the players fault. They are trying, they simply don’t have the talent. Could mick do better coaching the offensive. Yes. I also always said that. On this team, I want the one player to have the ball that can create something. That is what I’m defending.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #128
cincycpaw
Epic Member

Quote:
Not defending mick. Agree with everything you said. He needs to recruit better players. Always said that. It’s not the players fault. They are trying, they simply don’t have the talent. Could mick do better coaching the offensive. Yes. I also always said that. On this team, I want the one player to have the ball that can create something. That is what I’m defending.
Ok, I understand but you can’t do it every play for like 10 minutes of game time. That’s a final 4 minute type of offense at best.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #129
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Ok, I understand but you can’t do it every play for like 10 minutes of game time. That’s a final 4 minute type of offense at best.
It’s fine if we have the players. Give it to Jarron, let him drive and kick it out for an open look. He’s basically player a point forward, James guarded role. It’s an NBA/ iso style offense. The problem is we don’t have shooters to surround him and he’s the only great option at doing it. Cane and Keith aren’t as good enough passers.

Defense is also an issue. Agree with that too
Old 01-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #130
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
It’s fine if we have the players. Give it to Jarron, let him drive and kick it out for an open look. He’s basically player a point forward, James guarded role. It’s an NBA/ iso style offense. The problem is we don’t have shooters to surround him and he’s the only great option at doing it. Cane and Keith aren’t as good enough passers.

Defense is also an issue. Agree with that too
That’s way I never understood why he didn’t recruit more shooters. They seem they would be great in his offense