Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #71
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post
seems perfectly reasonable to me, from a basketball perspective, to suggest that the best answer might be not sitting a whole year before his senior year and sticking with the teammates he is close to.

Yeah I don't really see what's wrong with saying from a basketball perspective this team is a really good fit for a Center that might not get to go to Duke or Kentucky or one of those schools.

We'll be in the top 20. We'll have a great offensive coach. There won't be anybody with a chance to take your minutes. Sounds like a pretty nice spot.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:53 AM   #72
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Yeah I don't really see what's wrong with saying from a basketball perspective this team is a really good fit for a Center that might not get to go to Duke or Kentucky or one of those schools.

We'll be in the top 20. We'll have a great offensive coach. There won't be anybody with a chance to take your minutes. Sounds like a pretty nice spot.
I don't know that he has an option for grad transfer so it would be a confusing decision but there's a lot more to decisions like these I guess. I would also think he wants to play some pro ball and start making some money too. Sitting a year would be a double wammy for him.

He has a great opportunity here and I'm not sure it could get a whole lot better somewhere else with a wasted year in between to boot. I look for him to be a Bearcat.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #73
Uclawrugby

Uclawrugby is on a distinguished road
Wow I just watched Hoard’s interview with Brannen and am blown away. Quality person, articulate, HOF college level player with professional experience. What a massive step up from the California dreamer. Could not be happier and can’t wait for next year. Happy for the players that the munchkin is gone.
Uclawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #74
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uclawrugby View Post
Wow I just watched Hoard’s interview with Brannen and am blown away. Quality person, articulate, HOF college level player with professional experience. What a massive step up from the California dreamer. Could not be happier and can’t wait for next year. Happy for the players that the munchkin is gone.

his one on 700 wlw's facebook page is a good one too. Talked about when he left NKU it was going to be for a school where he could win a national championship.

compare that with micks tournament wins are for the fans crap.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #75
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
his one on 700 wlw's facebook page is a good one too. Talked about when he left NKU it was going to be for a school where he could win a national championship.

compare that with micks tournament wins are for the fans crap.
Another article available from the Athletic...

Has CJB telling BOhn and co how he would go about improving our results in the dance (with data to back it up). Both from a seeding perspective and performance perspective. Apparently March success was at least somewhat of a priority.

Gaming the schedule was one way to improve seeding. Increasing tempo and shot selection was a way to perform better on the floor. The guy was prepared for the interview.

All of those things were areas Cronin's team's struggled coincidentally (or not). We were getting better with scheduling. Tempo was always an issue. Shot selection is going to be a big change in that I think Cronin wanted to wait to get offensive rebounders in place before taking too many shots. I think Brannen will let them fire on a good shot before the D gets set with rebounders in place or not. So we may suffer in O rebounding a little but we should also see a few follow up dunks that way. Our FG% will go up as a result so we shall see which strategy will win out.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #76
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
The video Cincinnati Men’s Hoops posted of the practice had me amped. Hoping they all stick this out.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #77
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Another article available from the Athletic...

Has CJB telling BOhn and co how he would go about improving our results in the dance (with data to back it up). Both from a seeding perspective and performance perspective. Apparently March success was at least somewhat of a priority.

Gaming the schedule was one way to improve seeding. Increasing tempo and shot selection was a way to perform better on the floor. The guy was prepared for the interview.

All of those things were areas Cronin's team's struggled coincidentally (or not). We were getting better with scheduling. Tempo was always an issue. Shot selection is going to be a big change in that I think Cronin wanted to wait to get offensive rebounders in place before taking too many shots. I think Brannen will let them fire on a good shot before the D gets set with rebounders in place or not. So we may suffer in O rebounding a little but we should also see a few follow up dunks that way. Our FG% will go up as a result so we shall see which strategy will win out.
Improving shot selection, if he can do it, would be great. We have all seen this team pass up on good shots and wind up with bad ones more than we would like. There was definitely a sense that they made the great the enemy of the good at times.

I'm less convinced that tempo in and of itself would make any difference. Every coach talks about playing faster, but there is no correlation between tempo and success, either in terms of winning or offensive efficiency. Heck, the slowest team on Earth just won the title, and had one of the most efficient offenses in the country. Belein has always played at a snail's pace, both at WVU and Michigan, and has had some incredibly efficient offenses (and, until the past two seasons, a lot of mediocre to bad defenses). Everyone enjoys up-tempo basketball more, but it is pretty success-neutral.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #78
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
Improving shot selection, if he can do it, would be great. We have all seen this team pass up on good shots and wind up with bad ones more than we would like. There was definitely a sense that they made the great the enemy of the good at times.

I'm less convinced that tempo in and of itself would make any difference. Every coach talks about playing faster, but there is no correlation between tempo and success, either in terms of winning or offensive efficiency. Heck, the slowest team on Earth just won the title, and had one of the most efficient offenses in the country. Belein has always played at a snail's pace, both at WVU and Michigan, and has had some incredibly efficient offenses (and, until the past two seasons, a lot of mediocre to bad defenses). Everyone enjoys up-tempo basketball more, but it is pretty success-neutral.
I don't equate tempo with success. But if you only have so many guys who can make a shot in the half court...we will likely have better success pushing the pace for easier buckets. Looking at Williams and Johnson here mostly.

I think Brooks, SCott, and Cumberland are fine with either. Moore should be better in the half court but that's a whole different story.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #79
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
It is going to take about 3 years to really see what Brannen can do. I expect a step back the next two years.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #80
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
It is going to take about 3 years to really see what Brannen can do. I expect a step back the next two years.
Depends who stays...

If we can have everyone back we will be damn good this year. But that's a lot of unknown right now.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote