Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #121
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

Negatives, Scott and Vogt both played over 35 minutes, in a game where we led by as much as 20. That's not sustainable over the season, especially not once we get to tournament play. It might not even be sustainable over the next few weeks. Have to get the backups minutes. Brannen has been bad at giving minutes to the backups so far this season.

the problem is there are no back ups at 5 or 4 with Sorolla out. davenport is more of a wing, legit nobody else on the roster that can play either spot.

and before you say diarra, you should have watched him last night.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #122
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I’m not a football guy. To me it’s a necessary evil to get into a better league.

I watch every UC football game. And am incredibly happy with the result, it’s just I’m a basketball first kinda guy.

same on this one. ive never followed college football in my life. college bball and nfl for me always.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #123
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
the problem is there are no back ups at 5 or 4 with Sorolla out. davenport is more of a wing, legit nobody else on the roster that can play either spot.

I would agree there is no other big to throw in there as a true 4 or 5 but we don't have to spell Scott with a big. I would not mind seeing a bit more of the game with both Cumberlands and Williams in the game at the same time. We can either do that minus a PG or minus a big

Jaevin is just much too dangerous to have on the bench. I don't care if he starts cold...he doesn't need a heat check. He's always 1 shot from getting hot
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #124
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Does it really matter though? If you only have one backup option you have to play him and hope he improves. Or go small with Davenport/Moore/Jaevin and try to make it work. The 35+ minutes per game for Vogt/Scott is not sustainable, probably not even short term. Overuse risks injury in the short term and Scott/Vogt wearing down as the season progresses in the long term. We probably aren't going to get many more opportunities where we are up by 20 to get guys experience and try to find something that works.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #125
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
same on this one. ive never followed college football in my life. college bball and nfl for me always.
My first year at UC was when Huggins came in. I transferred after one year at OSU. I cut my teeth on college BB because we didn't have a football program and of course we made a F4 while I was in school. I remember getting into football games with a student ID free of charge and sitting in the stands with nobody around us (literally).

I now hate OSU with a passion (but the rest of my family loves them) and never was a huge NCAA football guy. I guess that would have been different if my first year at UC was when Kelly was here.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #126
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Does it really matter though? If you only have one backup option you have to play him and hope he improves. Or go small with Davenport/Moore/Jaevin and try to make it work. The 35+ minutes per game for Vogt/Scott is not sustainable, probably not even short term. Overuse risks injury in the short term and Scott/Vogt wearing down as the season progresses in the long term. We probably aren't going to get many more opportunities where we are up by 20 to get guys experience and try to find something that works.

i mean scott played 76% of the minutes last year, this year he's at 72.5%. he hasn't had a back up either year.

no way Vogt can do it all year, but luckily his back up will be back before the end of 2019.

we ran scott and cumberland into the ground last year but i don't remember anybody saying just play a guy that hurts us, so they can rest.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #127
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
i mean scott played 76% of the minutes last year, this year he's at 72.5%. he hasn't had a back up either year.

no way Vogt can do it all year, but luckily his back up will be back before the end of 2019.

we ran scott and cumberland into the ground last year but i don't remember anybody saying just play a guy that hurts us, so they can rest.
I would take a tired Scott or Vogt over a fresh Dou at this point. Sure he can do some good things out there but they are almost always offset with bad things. He doesn't seem to be able to understand how to correct what he is doing wrong. MAW seems to have learned very quickly how to adjust to making several TO's. I don't quite understand why Dou can't make the necessary adjustments because I think he is a smart kid in terms of books smarts but it's BB IQ that he's lacking
Old 12-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #128
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I just think Xavier has advantages all over the court that will be tough to beat out over 40 min

Jones/freemantle/Jason Carter

is much better than Vogt/Scott/Diarra

Mcneal/MAW Vs Goodin/Tandy to me is a win for X

Cumberland/Cumberland vs Scruggs/Moore is a win for UC but Paul Scruggs is a lockdown defender

Williams/davenport/Harvey Vs Naji/Bishop is a win for Xavier.

They have more talent than us, So its going to come to down coaching and execution. I mean this will be the most intense environment Vogt, Mcneal, MAW, davenport, & harvey have ever played in.

Guys will need to weather that initial Xavier on slaught.,

Xavier uses its first possession to try and establish Tyrique Jones. Would be nice to deny him on his first attempt.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #129
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
You obviously don't remember how that S.O.B. Kelly deserted his team right before the bowl game. I've rooted vs. ND every game they've played since. I won't even watch them.
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #130
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He tried to played Davenport, he got abused and got 4 fouls in 4 minutes. I’m sure he would have loved to give guys a rest but every time he tried, they were terrible. Diarra was just as bad.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 12-04-2019 at 01:24 PM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote