Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2023, 04:00 PM   #91
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Interesting that they would suspend players. It's an event for seniors, but temporarily with the Covid year those guys can still return. So if that's true, I agree it decreases the chances he'll come back if he faces a suspension.
Courtney Ramey was suspended 3 games for participating last year, so it's not a huge suspension, but would definitely seem to make Nolley's return more unlikely.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:30 PM   #92
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Courtney Ramey was suspended 3 games for participating last year, so it's not a huge suspension, but would definitely seem to make Nolley's return more unlikely.
It seems like he could make more money with NIL in college than playing in a lower overseas league. He doesn't have even close to enough defense or athleticism to be a 3 and D type in the NBA, especially if Evans and Clark couldn't. Same with landing a spot in a good paying league like Spain or China. And he's too old to be a serious prospect anywhere. He's probably on a Keith Williams path, swapping between New Zealand and G League making 40k.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:08 PM   #93
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
It seems like he could make more money with NIL in college than playing in a lower overseas league. He doesn't have even close to enough defense or athleticism to be a 3 and D type in the NBA, especially if Evans and Clark couldn't. Same with landing a spot in a good paying league like Spain or China. And he's too old to be a serious prospect anywhere. He's probably on a Keith Williams path, swapping between New Zealand and G League making 40k.
I agree on his NBA chances, unless he can shoot a crazy high percentage from 3, he just doesn't have the defense or athleticism to 3-and-D. He might be able to make better money overseas though (Chad has hinted it would be hard for NIL to compete if Nolley lands in a good paying league). If money is his main concern, we also have to worry about him transferring (I assume he can grad transfer and not sit) and somebody else outbidding us in the NIL market.

All that said, I think the odds that he comes back aren't good. Especially with the PIT as potentially an NCAA violation,
Old 03-27-2023, 07:10 PM   #94
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
I always thought Nolley didn't never show his full potential because he was playing with scrubs. On more of loaded team Nolley could just focus on one aspect of his game. Here he was allowed to freelance because we had no one even close to his ability and he knew it. I would take him in 1st rd if I was NBA GM. He can score on all levels and rebounds better than most guards.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:16 PM   #95
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
I always thought Nolley didn't never show his full potential because he was playing with scrubs. On more of loaded team Nolley could just focus on one aspect of his game. Here he was allowed to freelance because we had no one even close to his ability and he knew it. I would take him in 1st rd if I was NBA GM. He can score on all levels and rebounds better than most guards.
I guess we'll see how the draft goes. If I were a GM I would not draft Nolley, nor would he be a particularly high priority as a UDFA. He doesn't get to the rim well, doesn't defend that well and doesn't rebound that well for his size. He's a 3 as I don't think he can reliably guard the 2. There are only two skills he is very good to great at and those are his 3-point shot and shot fake.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:38 AM   #96
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I guess we'll see how the draft goes. If I were a GM I would not draft Nolley, nor would he be a particularly high priority as a UDFA. He doesn't get to the rim well, doesn't defend that well and doesn't rebound that well for his size. He's a 3 as I don't think he can reliably guard the 2. There are only two skills he is very good to great at and those are his 3-point shot and shot fake.
He arguably was best rebounder on team 2nd half of season. His leaping ability went under the radar because he never had any monster dunks. The athleticism was on display rebounding. As far as defense I think under right system he's above average. For first time arguably in his life he won't be most talented on team. I think that best for him and takes his game to another level.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:24 AM   #97
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
He arguably was best rebounder on team 2nd half of season. His leaping ability went under the radar because he never had any monster dunks. The athleticism was on display rebounding. As far as defense I think under right system he's above average. For first time arguably in his life he won't be most talented on team. I think that best for him and takes his game to another level.
5th on the team in rebounding percentage in conference (behind Vik, Ody, Kalu and Skillings). His rebounding did improve, but wasn't spectacular. His athleticism is at best average (and I'd argue below average) for the NBA level.

Apparently a two-way contract at the NBA level is 500k, which likely blows away what we can give him via NIL. If a team falls in love with Nolley's 3-point shooting and thinks he can be adequate everywhere else, I think he's got a chance to get one. If they rate his other skills (and athleticism) higher than I do, than his chances go up even more.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:14 AM   #98
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Two-way contracts are kind of like a third round of the draft. Each team has two, and about half of those are first year players, so close to one first year player per team. He should leave if a team shows interest.

Some college team still might compete with 500k though. Nijel Pack is getting at least 400k per year and a car at Miami. That's one of the few deals that leaked to the public, and I'm sure some players are getting more. An LSU gymnast supposedly has over 3 million in deals.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:16 AM   #99
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
5th on the team in rebounding percentage in conference (behind Vik, Ody, Kalu and Skillings). His rebounding did improve, but wasn't spectacular. His athleticism is at best average (and I'd argue below average) for the NBA level.
Correcting myself a bit, his rebounding percentage was very good. Comparable to Jacob Evans senior season. Comparing him to Evans he trails in a lot of aspects (worse at getting to and finishing at the rim, worse block and steal rates). What does stand out is although they shot around the same percentage from 3, Nolley shot at a much higher volume and took a lot more unassisted - which I take as signs that his three point percentage should remain high in the NBA.

I'll admit I'm a little biased against Nolley, because his tendency to lollygag at times annoyed me. But an NBA team could see that as more potential if he devotes himself.

Overall, I still say a team needs to be enamored by his three point shooting and shot fake as those are what stand out as elite. If that happens the rest should be enough to get him a chance (2nd round pick or undrafted on a 2-way contract).
Old 03-28-2023, 10:55 AM   #100
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Nolley's rebounding was about average for a 3. An above average offensive rebounding team grabs 30% of misses, which breaks out to something like C-10 PF-8 SF-6 SG-4 PG-2. Nolley has a rate under 4 for his career, and even though he improved a lot in conference play was still under 6. Davenport had exactly the same numbers this year both in conference and overall.