Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #161
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Why are teams having their best performance of all conference play against us though?

It’s not just 1 team getting hot. It’s 3 out of the 6 teams having their best offensive performance in conference play.

But I’m reassured that isn’t an issue, that this isn’t a trend and this is just a coincidence.

So yea. We should just keep doing what we are doing and eventually someone will just shoot bad. Or we will short incredibly well.

I’ll never bring it up again.

All roses and sunshine from me from here on out.

Best defense in America
Best offense in America
#1 seed in the NIT
#1 seed in my heart.

Won’t bring it up again. You guys convinced me. John Brannen is a great defensive coach. And I am ashamed I’ve ever questioned him.
So dramatic man. No one said it's the best defense in America. That's you making things up again and being dramatic. No one even said our defense was good. I was saying there are other ways to win basketball games. It's not just the Cronin way. More than likely teams aren't going to be shut down at home. Play good defense but don't sell out to the extent where you can't score. It's a balancing act. But keep being dramatic and playing the victim.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:13 PM   #162
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Y’all act like I was waiting on a loss so I could pounce.

Nope. I posted before the UConn game that I was concerned with the road defense.

And everybody bashed him. But one player this team could really really use right now Is Eliel Nsesome. If he would have stayed, he gets 10 rebounds against UConn and defends, which gets us the win.

Every one acts like you need 2 way players for all 13 scholarships but Will be the softest team in America if Brannen doesn’t go out get a shot blocking athlete who can rebound. Guys like eliel let your cos h demand defense and rebounding, other wide an offensive dud was going to steal your minutes because he knows how to battle in the trenches

Next year Is likely the worst rebounding team in the past 35 years of UC if we don’t add someone.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #163
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
1-3-1 is a gimick. It works for a possession or two then gets figured out quickly.

But you can win a lot of games in this league but just throwing in multiple possessions of 2-3 zone because generally the shooting is poor.

Houston and temple are both awful against the zone.

WSU probably is as well.

But we insist on a press that doesn’t generate a lot turnovers. And literally has us fouling 50ft from the basket.

Why the hell did we press against UCon, I have no idea. We hadn’t been home to recover, we had just played a tough game on thurs but we insisted on doing the same things . We didn’t have the legs for it or the depth. And yet, we did it. And we looked gassed.

Defensively I think Brannen is as hard headed as the other guy we used to have.
I don't know why he doesn't play 2-3 zone but against Houston coaches are probably scared to death to play zone in fear that they would crush us on rebounding. That would be my guess for Houston.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #164
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
So dramatic man. No one said it's the best defense in America. That's you making things up again and being dramatic. No one even said our defense was good. I was saying there are other ways to win basketball games. It's not just the Cronin way. More than likely teams aren't going to be shut down at home. Play good defense but don't sell out to the extent where you can't score. It's a balancing act. But keep being dramatic and playing the victim.
Dramatic? ... my opinion must either matter it or I must live in people’s heads because I can post a 100% basketball related on topic comment about our teams defense and it will twist and turn peoples leopard print thongs into a serious knot .
Old 02-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #165
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Lol and who says you have to not play offense to play defense.

Why can’t we do both?

If we ever want to be elite, we will need to be elite on both sides of the ball.

I mean serious question: do you think John Brannen ever has a top 15 defense at UC ?
Old 02-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #166
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Y’all act like I was waiting on a loss so I could pounce.

Nope. I posted before the UConn game that I was concerned with the road defense.

And everybody bashed him. But one player this team could really really use right now Is Eliel Nsesome. If he would have stayed, he gets 10 rebounds against UConn and defends, which gets us the win.

Every one acts like you need 2 way players for all 13 scholarships but Will be the softest team in America if Brannen doesn’t go out get a shot blocking athlete who can rebound. Guys like eliel let your cos h demand defense and rebounding, other wide an offensive dud was going to steal your minutes because he knows how to battle in the trenches

Next year Is likely the worst rebounding team in the past 35 years of UC if we don’t add someone.
We have an athlete but he's literally unplayable at times. Diarra. Athletes that rebound and play defense are great as long as you don't have a whole team of them. Eason also looks like a shot blocking athlete that can rebound. Not much offense. So suggesting that he just wants all offensive guys doesn't seem to be true.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #167
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Lol and who says you have to not play offense to play defense.

Why can’t we do both?

If we ever want to be elite, we will need to be elite on both sides of the ball.

I mean serious question: do you think John Brannen ever has a top 15 defense at UC ?
Honestly, after half a season, I have no idea. I don't know how you would know that but you seem to know everything already. You also thought Houston was unbeatable. We will have to see what kind of guys he can bring in. I honestly don't care if he ever has a top 15 defense. You seem to be really concerned about it. I just want to win. I think there are other ways to do it beside having an elite defense. Yes the goal would be to have both but we need the talent to do that.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #168
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Dramatic? ... my opinion must either matter it or I must live in people’s heads because I can post a 100% basketball related on topic comment about our teams defense and it will twist and turn peoples leopard print thongs into a serious knot .
Yes dramatic. You wanted to sell your tickets and said you were done on multiple occasions. That's dramatic. We lost a game by 1 point that where were underdogs. It's not the end of the world. Should we have won, yes. It happens. Is there things to clean up. Yes. We have also improved a lot since the beginning of the year. Other teams are trying to win also.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 02-10-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #169
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1-3-1 is a gimick. It works for a possession or two then gets figured out quickly.

But you can win a lot of games in this league but just throwing in multiple possessions of 2-3 zone because generally the shooting is poor.

Houston and temple are both awful against the zone.

WSU probably is as well.

But we insist on a press that doesn’t generate a lot turnovers. And literally has us fouling 50ft from the basket.

Why the hell did we press against UCon, I have no idea. We hadn’t been home to recover, we had just played a tough game on thurs but we insisted on doing the same things . We didn’t have the legs for it or the depth. And yet, we did it. And we looked gassed.

Defensively I think Brannen is as hard headed as the other guy we used to have.
I can fully agree with this. The press has got to go at times. It has not been effective most games and like you said, anyone could see we were gassed. Plus lack of bench. If we're going to run it why not use it when McNeal and Harvey are getting their minutes? Cumberland, William's, and Tre should not be doing the press in games like that.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #170
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
the 1-3-1 with diarra is crazy. we use it so infrequently i dont know what to think about it, but something tells me its not good.
Huggins used to run a 1-2-2 half court defense with Kenyon at the top. It was very similar. I don't hate the 1-3-1 for a couple possessions but like Justin said, teams figure it out quickly and get open shots. Diarra at the top might be the spot where he has to think the least.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 02-10-2020 at 08:51 PM.