Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #61
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Didn't get to watch the game. Can someone please explain to me what the fuss just happened?
Cumberland sat on the bench with fouls in the first half (benched after his 1st ala OSU). ECU went on a big run. Our bad offensive players (aka everyone) were bad. ECU hit lots of shots. We're down 9 at half.

Started off 2nd half with an 8-0 run but traded baskets the rest of the way as no one could find a rhythm. Broome and LJ played a combined 5 minutes. Missed a ton of FTs. Bad offensive players continued to be bad.

We lose.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #62
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Bad loss, but not the end of the world. ECU played way above their abilities and made a ton of threes. We couldn't shoot today. That's how upsets happen. That's why it's tough going on the road in conference. We got the bullseye on our back. ECU played their super bowl today. We'll be fine. Sucky loss to endure though.
Maybe....this year it was crucial that we take no bad losses in conference. We almost have to beat Houston on the road now.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #63
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Didn't get to watch the game. Can someone please explain to me what the fuss just happened?
Defense first. One legit scorer. Can't get down because we don't have offensive talent other than one guy.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #64
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
Just imagine a Xavier game.....only against way worse competition.
Well that sucks. Was Mick outcoached like normal against Mack or just bad luck?
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #65
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Just imagine a Xavier game.....only against way worse competition.
Haha, kinda yeah
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #66
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well that sucks. Was Mick outcoached like normal against Mack or just bad luck?
A complete Nevada-esque meltdown with no Plan B.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #67
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Maybe....this year it was crucial that we take no bad losses in conference. We almost have to beat Houston on the road now.
I'll agree to the extent of winning the conference. This game very likely could cost us winning the conference but I think we'd have to be 11-7 in conference or worse to really worry about missing the tourney. This is one bad game and hopefully a wake up call.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #68
Uclawrugby

Uclawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dude, JJ wasn’t the problem. Our post D got chewed up by a freshman, we picked up full court way to late in the game. Cronin played to the scouting report the entire game even though ECU clearly was playing way above their talent. ECU can’t shoot three’s....guess what they nailed them all game long. Cane was horrific when he was in the game. Moore was destroyed on D rotations and still can’t shoot. They fought for loose balls in the paint way harder than we did. Scott played absolutely awful. Fredricks can’t dribble a basketball. Free throws were terrible....turnovers were awful and I don’t think JJ had one.
Thanks that was good analysis.
Uclawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #69
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

This team is going to struggle to score when teams are allowed to be physical. Our bigs are too soft. I'm not blaming the refs because for the most part I think they were consistent. Maybe a few calls for the home team but that is expected. We didn't match their effort, bottom line. We came in expecting to win and nobody got down and dirty to make it happen. ECU did. That's the difference. Our talent kept us in the game but we just couldn't get enough stops. Combine that with piss poor shooting and even worse free throw shooting and you have the upset special. We are better than we played today and we have a lot to learn from this game. Take the L, learn the lessons and move forward.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #70
Uclawrugby

Uclawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dude, JJ wasn’t the problem. Our post D got chewed up by a freshman, we picked up full court way to late in the game. Cronin played to the scouting report the entire game even though ECU clearly was playing way above their talent. ECU can’t shoot three’s....guess what they nailed them all game long. Cane was horrific when he was in the game. Moore was destroyed on D rotations and still can’t shoot. They fought for loose balls in the paint way harder than we did. Scott played absolutely awful. Fredricks can’t dribble a basketball. Free throws were terrible....turnovers were awful and I don’t think JJ had one.
I have given it some thought. JJ played the whole game and had 7 points. If you are 20% of what your team puts on the floor I do not think 7 points is getting it done. As for LoJo I did not see two turnovers. I saw one trick pass that was mishandled by Brooks if I am not mistaken. As for Brooks, he missed a dunk. He had the ball in his hands at the last second and could not get it off the glass. Finally, Scott showed a good move at the rim and made at least one jumper. Our success has always been power forward based due to our emphasis on defense. That is why I say Scott is the key.
Uclawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote