Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #51
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
they rarely play together. doesn't make sense its them cause they both had the same roles last year.
Well both their minutes are up. Could be a minor part of the equation.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #52
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Well both their minutes are up. Could be a minor part of the equation.
could be for sure but its a pretty big jump.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #53
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Be interested to hear people's take on how this is happening. My first guess is the Brooks/Nsoseme dynamic, where we keep those two packed in tight as to not get beaten off the dribble.

Other than that, the fact Broome/Jenifer aren't tall nor shot blockers?
I really just don't know. The small guards is definitely something that popped in my head initially though.

Usually stuff like this is a bunch of different things and not just one factor.

Obviously the game has changed a lot over that time period with much more of an emphasis on 3s. But that doesn't explain why it's the first time we've ranked below 300 in 3point attempt percentage allowed.

It's really a question I'd love Brendel to try and ask to find out. Did something change philosophically with our defense? Are teams just attacking us differently and view 2 point shots as a lost cause vs us? Is it guys just not executing game plans and missing rotations and close outs? Or what is usually the problem imo is over helping in spots that you don't need to.

Someone would really have to dig into the game film to try and get a good answer.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #54
ervins84
Elite Member

UConn following the same strategy. Taken 41 shots so far, 20 of which were 3's. Something has gotta change defensively
Old 01-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #55
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
I really just don't know. The small guards is definitely something that popped in my head initially though.

Usually stuff like this is a bunch of different things and not just one factor.

Obviously the game has changed a lot over that time period with much more of an emphasis on 3s. But that doesn't explain why it's the first time we've ranked below 300 in 3point attempt percentage allowed.

It's really a question I'd love Brendel to try and ask to find out. Did something change philosophically with our defense? Are teams just attacking us differently and view 2 point shots as a lost cause vs us? Is it guys just not executing game plans and missing rotations and close outs? Or what is usually the problem imo is over helping in spots that you don't need to.

Someone would really have to dig into the game film to try and get a good answer.
You mean we don't have a coaching staff that is constantly poring over game film trying to find ways to correct problems? WTF is their job then?
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #56
ervins84
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
You mean we don't have a coaching staff that is constantly poring over game film trying to find ways to correct problems? WTF is their job then?
Huh? Not sure I'm following, but I never said anything like that whatsoever. Our defense under Cronin has year in and out been top notch. It's really weird though that we've seen such a massive spike in attempts vs us. The cause could be a ton of different things. Who better to get an answer from than by asking the coaching staff?
Old 01-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #57
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I think it's twofold. One, our defense is geared toward denying easy shots and forcing long and contested shots. Its typical to settle for threes when you can't beat a defense. Two, right now we are being a little lazy at covering the corner and stepping up in guards faces behind the arc. The last three games teams are making us pay by hitting a high percentage of threes. A little extra focus defensively and we can contest these shots a little better.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #58
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Huh? Not sure I'm following, but I never said anything like that whatsoever. Our defense under Cronin has year in and out been top notch. It's really weird though that we've seen such a massive spike in attempts vs us. The cause could be a ton of different things. Who better to get an answer from than by asking the coaching staff?
Game plans only work if the players follow it. Cronin bluntly told the truth in his post game last night. The guys don’t listen to direction and make stupid mistakes. They aren’t following the scouting report and get burned.

Our post players don’t box out and get beat routinely on the glass. Three guys collapse the paint for a block or trap leaving shooters open or the glass open. This eliminates our guards from being able to funnel players to their off hand. Therefore, they have to square up defensively. Against great guards like Adams and Gilbert they have no chance.

You have to be able to switch against guards. In order to effectively switch you have to talk. The guys don’t talk on D and someone inevitably misses his rotation and has to make a run for the perimeter. They run out late and therefore probably don’t pay attention to who they are even running out to. This allows the opposing player the choice to pass, drive, or shoot. That is the definition of allowing the opposing team to do whatever they want at will against your D. Which is why Uconn was able to come back from 11 so easily.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #59
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
Which is why Uconn was able to come back from 11 so easily.
that and the fact that we took the 11 point lead with 12:44 left in the 2nd half and made 2 fg's the rest of the half.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #60
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I think Scott and Cumberland are really slow on rotations. Scott seems to watch the ball too much and doesn't anticipate. Cumberland is often lazy getting out on shooters. There's probably a lot of reasons though.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote