Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 11+ 11 30.56%
UC wins by 6-10 14 38.89%
UC wins by 1-5 8 22.22%
Temple wins 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #611
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
Love this years team, 13-2 great start. 13 wins -I don't care if they were pretty. If we just get rid of the traveling calls alone we win most of the rest of our games, and there is no way Cumberland stays in this funk all year long. I do think Cane needs to assert himself offensively and just hope there are no injuries. Go Cats.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #612
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
This. We have too many “fan police” on this site. Fans overract to everything in every sport. If a team plays well, and ranked high, fans will think it’s we are winning a championship, ( Xavier fans right now). If we play bad, it’s the end of the world. Both are fine. That’s what makes it fun. Nothing new
Cincinnati fans especially.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #613
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I hate to say it, but we only won because Temple completely sucked shooting, especially down the stretch. Yes, our guys fought hard and still played good D, but execution wise, any team on our schedule might could've beaten us last night had they simply made shots. I'll even go further and say any past Mick team would never rebound that bad so I'm not sure other Mick teams don't pull that out. Basically at the end of the day, Temple scored 53 points... that's why they lost. I won't take anything away from the guys getting a W fair and square but last night might have been one of the ugliest performances I've seen from our Bearcats in 25 years of being a fan. We won by sheer luck of not being the worse team last night. Just think if there was no blizzard and that place was sold out and rocking, too. I'm happy we won, but I won't hang my hat on anything other than it was an ugly game on both sides. And our effort level seemed horrible. Even the commentators noticed how when Jenifer hit the deck, no one came to his aide. After that, Nick lit the team up for it in te time out and we actually seemed to be more focused. This team has an identity issue if you ask me. We are too talented to lay eggs like we have in three games now. Even without Broome, there's no excuse for the effort last night as a whole.
But with that logic you could say we would have crushed them if we made shots. Of course the team that shoots better usually wins lol. We were without a big part of our offense. Both kyle and Gary were in foul trouble the whole game. Evans was off until the last 5 minutes. It could have easily gone the other way too. Like it's been said a million times, we won and that's all that really matters
Old 01-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #614
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Ugly game
Offensively it looked like 2010
Player development continues to be an issue
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #615
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately I'm just too busy to post here much anymore (maybe fortunately for you all), but I think my last post a month or so ago was about how important Broome is to this team. From day 1 it was obvious he was the most important player for this team to make a deep run. They aren't the same without him. JJ just isn't that good. Hopefully Broome gets back and STARTS.

That said this team has problems. By far the most talented team since the Huggins years but something is off. Offense still struggles, is way to stagnant, and has no rhythm. Players are still like robots out there running the set plays rather than taking what is given. Players don't understand their roles, or Mick isn't giving them roles. I think the latter is the case. I like the potential of Williams but he doesn't have to jack up a terrible shot every time he touches a ball. His role is simple: defense and rebounding. Not shooting. Same with Trey Scott. And why the hell do they run a low post offense through Brooks when he is in the game? His role is defense and putbacks. With UC's back court of Broome (when healthy), Evans, and Cumberland, they should be the offense when Clark and Washington are on the bench, not dumping the freaking ball to Brooks.

Cumberland's confidence is shattered. He was unbelievable in pre-season but he is a totally different player now. Even his passing is off. He needs to find his groove. Who gives a shit if you get a charge called, keep driving to the basket.

Still plenty of time but very frustrating to see this team struggle while a much less talented X team is ranked top 5.

[/rant]
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #616
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
Ugly game
Offensively it looked like 2010
Player development continues to be an issue
Lol
Old 01-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #617
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Unfortunately I'm just too busy to post here much anymore (maybe fortunately for you all), but I think my last post a month or so ago was about how important Broome is to this team. From day 1 it was obvious he was the most important player for this team to make a deep run. They aren't the same without him. JJ just isn't that good. Hopefully Broome gets back and STARTS.

That said this team has problems. By far the most talented team since the Huggins years but something is off. Offense still struggles, is way to stagnant, and has no rhythm. Players are still like robots out there running the set plays rather than taking what is given. Players don't understand their roles, or Mick isn't giving them roles. I think the latter is the case. I like the potential of Williams but he doesn't have to jack up a terrible shot every time he touches a ball. His role is simple: defense and rebounding. Not shooting. Same with Trey Scott. And why the hell do they run a low post offense through Brooks when he is in the game? His role is defense and putbacks. With UC's back court of Broome (when healthy), Evans, and Cumberland, they should be the offense when Clark and Washington are on the bench, not dumping the freaking ball to Brooks.

Cumberland's confidence is shattered. He was unbelievable in pre-season but he is a totally different player now. Even his passing is off. He needs to find his groove. Who gives a shit if you get a charge called, keep driving to the basket.

Still plenty of time but very frustrating to see this team struggle while a much less talented X team is ranked top 5.

[/rant]
Hey as one of the fan police I see nothing wrong with this post lol. This is the kind of stuff that does further the conversation, and honestly I agree with a lot of what you said. I really hope Cumberland can get out of this funk, I don't think it's because he isn't that good, or people have figured him out, he's regressing, whatever. I just think like you said, his confidence is way down and he is playing tight and that's never a good thing. Williams can be a catalyst at certain times, he is very similar to Washington in the fact he doesn't know when not to shoot sometimes. But overall he is a good player off the bench, same with pretty much all of our bench players, they have a roll and play it pretty well. I'm okay with broome off the bench, but I think his minutes have to go up regardless. But like you said it's frustrating not being exactly where you thought we would be (ranking wise) but you switch that Florida game around and we are top ten too. Sometimes one loss changes a lot, we will make our way back up there just gotta keep winning these games.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #618
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Hey as one of the fan police I see nothing wrong with this post lol. This is the kind of stuff that does further the conversation, and honestly I agree with a lot of what you said. I really hope Cumberland can get out of this funk, I don't think it's because he isn't that good, or people have figured him out, he's regressing, whatever. I just think like you said, his confidence is way down and he is playing tight and that's never a good thing. Williams can be a catalyst at certain times, he is very similar to Washington in the fact he doesn't know when not to shoot sometimes. But overall he is a good player off the bench, same with pretty much all of our bench players, they have a roll and play it pretty well. I'm okay with broome off the bench, but I think his minutes have to go up regardless. But like you said it's frustrating not being exactly where you thought we would be (ranking wise) but you switch that Florida game around and we are top ten too. Sometimes one loss changes a lot, we will make our way back up there just gotta keep winning these games.
Agree with a lot of what you say, but curious why you are okay with Cane coming off the bench? I 100% disagree with the popular notion that it's not who starts but who finished. Not saying this is something you say, but it's a stupid cliche. Who starts is very important. Just look at the Xavier game. It's one thing if a player happens to be better off the bench, which is very rare. But Broome's been starting his whole life and has been the go to guy, he can handle it. No reason he shouldn't start. If Mick prizes ball control just look at last night where JJ got his pocket picked twice in terrible fashion.

Also, I see what you are saying about the Florida game, and I agree, however, Florida gave UC that game and they didn't take it. Florida played like crap and UC still lost. It's one thing to just lose a close game to a good team, it's another to play terrible and throw a way a chance for a decent win.

I think Cumberland's confidence is gone, but I also think it has something to do with teams now have better scouting on him. It's obvious they want to give him the shot and take a way the drive. They aren't following for the pump fake. He needs to put that in his pocket and be quicker with his decisions. Catch the ball, attack the basket.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #619
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
This thread proves what I have said for years. I never understood why someone wants to post during the game. Maybe it's my age but there are too many emotions during the game, I'd rather yell at the TV, LOL. I am sure we all have negative thoughts towards players and coaches at times, I just let myself cool down before I would put them in print.
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #620
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post

[/rant]

1. What makes you think we have more talent than x? X has an entire roster of top 100 players or at worst seniors. They can’t defend anyone. It will bite them in the ass sooner or later

2. Tre Scott never shoots the ball. Why would you include him in the conversation of Williams? And Keith probably hits 3’s in practice otherwise Cronin wouldn’t let him take open 3’s... and even then Williams is only shooting wide open 3’s in rythem with the offense. He isn’t taking step back contested jumpers

3. Did you see how well brooks had played leading up to this game? He had actually started developing a quick move towards the basket and was converting. Clark and Kyle were in foul trouble, so brooks had to play and they wanted to see what he can do especially when 3’s weren’t falling. He is playing in front of his home crowd. They gave him a shot.

And this is in general; people are acting like we’ve played this bad all year. We haven’t. It’s ond bad game at temple which is the norm.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote