Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #61
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Yes, they love his act now. Let’s see how much they love it when he gets past the 1st weekend once in 15 years. How much you think they will love it? I’ll wait for your answer
I mean early success from Huggins kept him off the hot seat when he sucked in the tourney his last 9 years.

That said, if UC gets bounced in the first round this year, then I’ll just be convinced that this city has a playoff curse
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #62
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
What’s hilarious about his ACT is that... to you, you hated it. And yet to UCLA, they absolutely love mick so far and his non sense approach. The UCLA board is basically a Cronin love fest at this point.

I just think it’s offensive to feel like that the Cronin era was some oppressive regime, it was absolutely fun and some of all time favorite Bearcats were brought to UC by mick.

Jarron Cumberland is mick’s last gift to UC. Can’t wait to watch him work
Easy to love any act that's 0-0. Not going to be any love if he's 6-9 come March in Westwood.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #63
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I don’t hate Cronin. Said it a million times. Think he is a good coach but not a great , once in a lifetime, coach like some of you seem to think. And when you have been to the sweet 16 once in 15 years, don’t act like you’re too good to answer basic questions.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #64
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
I mean early success from Huggins kept him off the hot seat when he sucked in the tourney his last 9 years.

That said, if UC gets bounced in the first round this year, then I’ll just be convinced that this city has a playoff curse
Agree with Huggins. Greatly underachieved with some of the teams he had later.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #65
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oddly... I think Brannen has far more pressure then mick does, at least in the first 3 years.

Brannen inherited a winning team with a winning culture. No rebuild needed, he is expected to not skip a beat and get us to the promised land,

Micks new team was just picked 8th. Absolutely zero chance that UCLA finishes 8th this year. He has a very very talented roster and he can coach.

I think UCLA makes the tourney In year one. And I’m year 2 he already has a top 10 player committed with only 2 other ships open

Brannen in the other hand is moving up multiple levels. His first top 75 win this year will be his first In his career. AAC is deep this year. Mick on the other hand plays in a pac 12 that was rated worse than the aac
You just said it, Mick inherited a very talented roster. The pressure is on him to win, and win now. Especially considering he was at the bottom of their list when they hired him and a lot of UCLA fans wanted nothing to do with him. I think he is capable of having success there but if he doesn't have it quickly he will be out the door.

Brannen had to replace just about everybody. Thankfully he had a good core of Scott, Cumberland, and Williams but he had a ton of pieces to put together quickly, and thankfully he did such.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #66
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
You just said it, Mick inherited a very talented roster. The pressure is on him to win, and win now. Especially considering he was at the bottom of their list when they hired him and a lot of UCLA fans wanted nothing to do with him. I think he is capable of having success there but if he doesn't have it quickly he will be out the door.

Brannen had to replace just about everybody. Thankfully he had a good core of Scott, Cumberland, and Williams but he had a ton of pieces to put together quickly, and thankfully he did such.
No

He inherited a talented roster that hadn’t won in a long while.

I promise you the expectations at UC are higher then at a UCLA. We sold out season tickets, had a great showing for madness and was picked 3rd in our league.

UCLA was picked 8th and people expect it will take a few years. I mean UCLA also lost all its best players
Old 10-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #67
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post

Also mick didn’t lose a single kid to transfer. Kept all his commits as well. That means something

Mick Cronin tried to talk Brooks into staying at UC and he chose to leave instead.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #68
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
No

I promise you the expectations at UC are higher then at a UCLA. We sold out season tickets, had a great showing for madness and was picked 3rd in our league.

UCLA was picked 8th and people expect it will take a few years. I mean UCLA also lost all its best players
I think you are in the minority with you expectations. You keep telling people their expectations are wrong. Maybe it’s you
Old 10-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #69
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No

I think Brannen has more year one pressure. The expectations for UC are have regular season success and make the NCAA tournament and ideally make some noise in the NCAA tournament. Before Mick left and we had all the transfers, this was projected to be a top 15 team. Even though the team is quite a bit different now, I think those expectations still linger to a degree. As was also mentioned already, we are going to be very young in 2020 and likely will not be expected to make the NCAA tournament, so if we don't make it this year, Brannen could feel the heat real quick.

Mick I expected to have success and quickly at UCLA. His hard headedness does not endear him to fans, but it seems to help him install his culture very quick. With UCLA's level of recruits if he can get them to play defense and rebound the way he did at UC, the offense should take care of itself. But year one I don't think he will have the pressure/expectations that Brannen does. Year two I think he will have significantly more pressure and expectations.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #70
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Also mick didn’t lose a single kid to transfer. Kept all his commits as well. That means something

Mick Cronin tried to talk Brooks into staying at UC and he chose to leave instead.
You honestly think Cronin is some kind of great coach huh? Keep fighting the fight man