Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #141
Chance2017

Chance2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I think the issue is that his teams typically lose on the road because they don't defend well on the road.

Last year NKU lost 5 games away from to teams ranked 117 or worse in Kenpom.

In only one of those losses did NKU play good defense:
@ #235 EKU: 1.06 ppp Allowed (#266 offensive in the country)
@ #175 Oakland : 1.13 ppp Allowed (#107 offense in the country)
@ #191 IUPUI: 1.22 ppp Allowed (#186 offense in the country)
@ #117 Wright State: 1.19 PPP Allowed (#122 offense in the country)

His best team ever was the 2018 Norse, who were 90 in Kenpom.

That team lost in the first round of the Horizon Tourney by allowing 89 points which was good for a whopping 1.20 ppp against #300 ranked Cleveland State who had the 302nd worse offense in America.

That was Cleveland states best offensive showing ALL SEASON LONG.

Now factor in this:

In conference we have played 6 road games and I think we've played good defense in just 2 of them. The Memphis game and the UCF game.

The other 4 was not good:

-Tulane: 1.12 ppp allowed against #195 ranked offense, their best ppp all conference

-Temple: 1.17 ppp allowed against #205 offense, 2nd best offensive performance in conference

-WSU: 1.16 PPP allowed against #133 offense, best offensive performance all conference

-UCONN: 1.00 ppp allowed against #144 offense, OK defense but poor 3pt and transition defense and defensive rebounding

There is trend here guys.

We are letting really bad offenses have some of their best offensive outputs against. Its not just bad luck.

it's a pattern.
The best part is that Brannen-ball has been able to win 2 of these horrific defensive performances. And if Jarron plays reasonable close to his shooting averages (UCONN) we win 3 out of the 4. Makes me optimistic Justin. Clean up the glass and we may have something here......Thanks again!
Chance2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #142
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
John Brannen has said over and over and over that this is a defensive first team.

On the road we don’t play a defensive first style
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #143
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Remind me of my narrative Mr know it all.
I just posted out that UC and NKU has had multiple In conference defensive issues that lead to outlier offensive performances from otherwise poor offensive teams.
No, you didn't "just" post that. You said it's a "trend", a "pattern", and "not just bad luck". You're making a claim, not just pointing things out.

Quote:
Ok. So your sorry I’m 100% wrong and our defense and rebounding on the road have been great in conference?
This is called a strawman argument. I didn't make any claim about our defense, rebounding, the road, or the conference. My only claim is that what you are calling a pattern is simply a statistical distribution of a small sample size. It can't even be "100% wrong" because it's essentially meaningless with so few games.

Quote:
Lol sure. We are letting some of the leagues worst offenses drop their best performances all season and it’s not a problem.
Again, I didn't say it wasn't a problem. I said it wasn't a pattern. For the coach, everything should be considered a problem. We should be trying to improve all aspects of our game.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #144
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
No, you didn't "just" post that. You said it's a "trend", a "pattern", and "not just bad luck". You're making a claim, not just pointing things out.

This is called a strawman argument. I didn't make any claim about our defense, rebounding, the road, or the conference. My only claim is that what you are calling a pattern is simply a statistical distribution of a small sample size. It can't even be "100% wrong" because it's essentially meaningless with so few games.

Again, I didn't say it wasn't a problem. I said it wasn't a pattern. For the coach, everything should be considered a problem. We should be trying to improve all aspects of our game.
Got it.

So you have no point to prove. Just to want to make sure I’m wrong somehow.

So John Brannen’s teams allowing unusually great offensive outputs on the road against poor offenses 9x in 2 years Is not a problem or a cause for concern?

Jesus. I could say the sky is blue and y’all would tell me it’s not technically true.

So once and for all, does anyone here want to tell me our Road defense has been good?

Anyone want to debate that point? Let’s do it
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #145
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Y’all act like I’m asking for Cronin back.

What I’m asking for is UC defense were used to seeing coupled with John Brannen’s offense.

We defend great at home, but on the road we don’t.

I have no idea why. But the numbers show it
One simple answer to why we defend better at home as opposed to the road would be because home teams shoot better at home. Fairly common sense. Maybe it shouldn’t be that drastic but all teams are going to play worse on the road.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #146
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
To be fair, we have no idea what brannen said. If you listen to his postgame the game before, he had 3 options for the final play. I find it hard to believe he would have only had one option this time.
I think there were options...but part of the job is to make sure that not only 1 option is being used. Whether it was Jarron or Brannen...something didn't change over the final minutes. Normally we aren't even talking about it because Jarron gets it done. When he is getting it done...you keep letting him do it till the cows come home.

Anyway...I am probably making more out of it than is necessary but more teams will play Jarron like Uconn did down the stretch. Force him to his left and collapse on him. We need to have an answer if it comes up again.

Just like when we played Memphis the entire team was going right into the shot blockers all night with the same results. We have to play a little differently in the upcoming game vs them. It wasn't working and we ended up with 49 points to show for it. Have to make some minor adjustments in these scenarios in real time.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #147
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Got it.
So you have no point to prove. Just to want to make sure I’m wrong somehow.
So John Brannen’s teams allowing unusually great offensive outputs on the road against poor offenses 9x in 2 years Is not a problem or a cause for concern?
Jesus. I could say the sky is blue and y’all would tell me it’s not technically true.

So once and for all, does anyone here want to tell me our Road defense has been good?
Anyone want to debate that point? Let’s do it
I'm interested in facts and reason. I have always rebutted poor logic on this site. It just happens that you have made a habit of displaying poor logic recently. The fact that you think I need a point to prove is part of that. Seeking out points to prove is not good analysis.

Here's your simple claim: Our road defense has not been good this season. Let's revise that to "our road defense has been significantly worse than our home defense this season". It's easy to test. Our defense is ranked #136 in 8 road games. Our home defense is ranked #5. So the appropriate evidence supports that claim. Good logic so far.

Then you go on to say it's not just random luck but rather a pattern that is representative of Brannen ball and therefore a cause for concern. This is a much more speculative claim that requires more than a few selective data points to support. And it's not supported by the full set of available data. Just go back to 2017 at NKU - #266 home defense, #144 away. That's a clear counterexample. Other years show about what you'd expect for a typical team, a somewhat worse defense on the road than at home (separations of 29, 45, and 74 spots in the other three years). The claim is not supported.

Now, that's not how Cronin's teams were. His teams were much better defensively on the road, and also much worse offensively. It seems clear to me and others here that your "points to prove" make thinly veiled but aggressive references to Cronin/Brannen comparisons, and this is no exception. No matter how much you try to cloak your analysis as dispassionate, that reference is clear. It's more of a pattern than bad Brannen road defense. And it's tiresome.

Good analysis is great. Post as much data as you want. Restrict your claims to what the data actually shows. You don't have to make up a point to prove. No one has to be right or wrong.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #148
Chance2017

Chance2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm interested in facts and reason. I have always rebutted poor logic on this site. It just happens that you have made a habit of displaying poor logic recently. The fact that you think I need a point to prove is part of that. Seeking out points to prove is not good analysis.

Here's your simple claim: Our road defense has not been good this season. Let's revise that to "our road defense has been significantly worse than our home defense this season". It's easy to test. Our defense is ranked #136 in 8 road games. Our home defense is ranked #5. So the appropriate evidence supports that claim. Good logic so far.

Then you go on to say it's not just random luck but rather a pattern that is representative of Brannen ball and therefore a cause for concern. This is a much more speculative claim that requires more than a few selective data points to support. And it's not supported by the full set of available data. Just go back to 2017 at NKU - #266 home defense, #144 away. That's a clear counterexample. Other years show about what you'd expect for a typical team, a somewhat worse defense on the road than at home (separations of 29, 45, and 74 spots in the other three years). The claim is not supported.

Now, that's not how Cronin's teams were. His teams were much better defensively on the road, and also much worse offensively. It seems clear to me and others here that your "points to prove" make thinly veiled but aggressive references to Cronin/Brannen comparisons, and this is no exception. No matter how much you try to cloak your analysis as dispassionate, that reference is clear. It's more of a pattern than bad Brannen road defense. And it's tiresome.

Good analysis is great. Post as much data as you want. Restrict your claims to what the data actually shows. You don't have to make up a point to prove. No one has to be right or wrong.
Really good post.
Chance2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #149
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:

Mic drop
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #150
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

🙄 I mean
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote