Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #161
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsladder@aol.com View Post
I suspect the lineup will be fluid all year. It may change often with Cumberland and perhaps Scott being the constants.
I think this is spot on. Cumberland is obviously going to be locked in and I think Cronin is going to trust Scott to be doing the right things out there more than he trusts the others.

Many fans expect Cronin to put Brooks and Jenifer out there for the first game but it was good to see some mixed lineups in Canada. Ellie got a start and we started at least one game without Jenifer which were both positives for me.

I expect a lot of different lineups with Cumberland and Scott looking to be in the clear. There are just so many different looks we can throw out there to find what works best.

I think we can try about 4 different PG scenarios. Jenifer, Broome, Johnson, or Cumberland. We can try 3 different scenarios at C with Brooks, Ellie, or Scott. The rest of the starting spots will depend on who is running point and who is in at the 5.

There are a lot of different deviations to try. Some will depend on matchups and some will depend on what works best for scoring or which players are doing what the coach is asking.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #162
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
It seems like Tre will be the quarterback of the defense, but overall it's Jarron's team. Obviously our offense is going to suffer, but I do think we could end up with 4 double-digit or close scorers with Cumberland, Broome, Fredericks, and Williams.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #163
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Maybe this is the year that bucks the trend but Cronin is not known for changing lineups. He had two lineups last year, one was for 2 total games, the other for 31 games. Cronin has the knack for starting vets, program guys and then subbing in after the first TVTO in the game. The guys that start against OSU will be the starters the majority of the year barring injury etc IMO. There was only one game last year where the starting lineup did not start the 2H and that is when Cumberland I believe got injured and instead of starting Broome in the second half, he put in Moore to start.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #164
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Maybe this is the year that bucks the trend but Cronin is not known for changing lineups. He had two lineups last year, one was for 2 total games, the other for 31 games. Cronin has the knack for starting vets, program guys and then subbing in after the first TVTO in the game. The guys that start against OSU will be the starters the majority of the year barring injury etc IMO. There was only one game last year where the starting lineup did not start the 2H and that is when Cumberland I believe got injured and instead of starting Broome in the second half, he put in Moore to start.
Last year we had 4 guys who were clearly better than the bench. This year there won’t be as big of a drop off to the next man in. The only gripe I had last year was Broome. The rest of the starters were legit.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #165
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
It seems like Tre will be the quarterback of the defense, but overall it's Jarron's team. Obviously our offense is going to suffer, but I do think we could end up with 4 double-digit or close scorers with Cumberland, Broome, Fredericks, and Williams.
I will take a quick stab at scoring (give or take 2 points either way).

Cumberland...14
Broome...12
Williams...9
Scott...8
Fredericks...7
Jenifer...4
Moore...4
Ellie...4
Brooks...4
Diara...3
Johnson...3
Hardnett...0

That's 72 ppg.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #166
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I will take a quick stab at scoring (give or take 2 points either way).

Cumberland...14
Broome...12
Williams...9
Scott...8
Fredericks...7
Jenifer...4
Moore...4
Ellie...4
Brooks...4
Diara...3
Johnson...3
Hardnett...0

That's 72 ppg.
Hardnett should redshirt, besides the scoring.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:09 AM   #167
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ BEARCAT View Post
Hardnett should redshirt, besides the scoring.
Yah...I assume that's what is going to happen. Give him a year to add some muscle, compete in practice and work on his skills. It may be too early to tell what he can bring but I would hate to be 12th in line for minutes. My guess is that's where he is at.

I think we have a chance to get 11 guys around 10 minute per game range or above if we want to. Looking at Diara and Johnson probably as 10 and 11 in line for minutes. I hope those two are good enough they get more than that. They both have some pretty big upside.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #168
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yah...I assume that's what is going to happen. Give him a year to add some muscle, compete in practice and work on his skills. It may be too early to tell what he can bring but I would hate to be 12th in line for minutes. My guess is that's where he is at.

I think we have a chance to get 11 guys around 10 minute per game range or above if we want to. Looking at Diara and Johnson probably as 10 and 11 in line for minutes. I hope those two are good enough they get more than that. They both have some pretty big upside.
For the year I could see something like this going down.

Cumberland...31
Broome...27.5
Scott...27.5
Williams 20
Fredericks 20
Moore...15
Jenifer...15
Brooks...12
Ellie...12
Diara...10
Johnson...10

Obviously in conference play we will probably shrink the rotation and it will look a little different.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #169
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
For the year I could see something like this going down.

Cumberland...31
Broome...27.5
Scott...27.5
Williams 20
Fredericks 20
Moore...15
Jenifer...15
Brooks...12
Ellie...12
Diara...10
Johnson...10

Obviously in conference play we will probably shrink the rotation and it will look a little different.
I have no idea what will happen. But I’d hope for more minutes from Ellie and Johnson at the expense of Jenifer, brooks, Williams.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #170
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I have no idea what will happen. But I’d hope for more minutes from Ellie and Johnson at the expense of Jenifer, brooks, Williams.
I would agree about Jenifer and Brooks...but I disagree on Williams. He has the potential to be the 2nd or 3rd best player on this team if he can get that outside shot going and maintain 100% intensity on defense and rebounding.

He is the guy I want to see the biggest improvement from if we are going to be legit this year. We will only have 3 or 4 guys who actually WANT to shoot the ball or score and he is one of them. He has the potential to be a lock down defender as well.