Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2021, 07:24 AM   #171
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
You've repeated this several times.
Maybe he's just saying he strongly feels Brannen will win his first national championship for us in his 16th season here like Wooden did for UCLA.

It's high praise from Justin. We just have to wait 14 more years.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:35 AM   #172
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
You've repeated this several times. All Lawrugby said was Brannen's style of basketball emphasizes the three and that he should get two more years to prove himself. You must think John Wooden is an unproven coach who emphasized the three point shot. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised.

I think you're confusing John Brannen with Pat Knight. Pat took a successful Texas Tech program and ran it into the ground, then went to low major Lamar, berated his players, and was fired after going 7-54 over his last two seasons. Is that a fair comp for your opinion of Brannen?
It emphasizes the 3 and they suck at it. That was my point
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:37 AM   #173
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Maybe he's just saying he strongly feels Brannen will win his first national championship for us in his 16th season here like Wooden did for UCLA.

It's high praise from Justin. We just have to wait 14 more years.

Damn.. our John Wooden might have been mick Cronin.. but now he’s in Westwood and the prophecy is fulfilled
Old 04-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #174
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Fun fact though... I went to a tiny awful poverty stricken high school...but John Wooden’s first coaching job was at my high school
Old 04-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #175
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Just an FYI.., this whole team was his team minus Keith and UC was 289th in 3pt %

It was 3rd worst 3 point shooting % in the Kenpom era (since 1997). Only 2 mick Cronin teams shot worse. His first team and his 2010 team.

Also uc offense was 144th this year with his guys. His offensive ppp are literally the the worst in the Kenpom era (direct tie with Mick’s first year)

Literally what makes you think this guys offense works at this level ? We only got good last year when he finally just let jarron run the show.

Offensively John has been absolute dud in two seasons.

Lol John has had 1 team in his entire career in the top 100 of 3pt %.... and it was 91!!!

Sometimes I think people are confusing John brannen with John Wooden.
All I know is that he got us to the conference final this year where we were beat by a final four team, just as he pointed out after the game. Last season we were the 1 seed in the tournament. Those are two pretty good years under difficult circumstances. I think he knows what he is doing and is a decent man until I learn something different. Financially it is probably stupid to part with him and trumping up charges is not a solution. I am willing to wait.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:32 AM   #176
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Fun fact though... I went to a tiny awful poverty stricken high school...but John Wooden’s first coaching job was at my high school
Was Mick your high school coach at Woodward?
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:33 AM   #177
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrugby View Post
All I know is that he got us to the conference final this year where we were beat by a final four team, just as he pointed out after the game. Last season we were the 1 seed in the tournament. Those are two pretty good years under difficult circumstances. I think he knows what he is doing and is a decent man until I learn something different. Financially it is probably stupid to part with him and trumping up charges is not a solution. I am willing to wait.
In a shitty conference. And got destroyed against power5 teams
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #178
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
What if the investigation comes back clear except for a couple minor things? Should we still fire the guy? Curious where people stand
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:19 AM   #179
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
What if the investigation comes back clear except for a couple minor things? Should we still fire the guy? Curious where people stand
I would say no, and I don’t think there is anything major here. Seems more and more to me like a witch hunt, the AD just keeps looking worse as the days go by IMO. I’m not exactly a Brannen fan, not convinced either way he is the right option. But it’s clearly been a difficult couple years to take over a program. I truly don’t believe we would have lost more than 2 transfers if it wasn’t for it being so easy this year. I think we lost 3 players because of their over sensitivity, and the rest because hey, why not, coupled with some other smaller things. It is what it is at this point and not a whole lot we can do about it.

I also don’t really see many other GREAT candidates out there that I think are just going to automatically come and be better than CJB. I don’t think we are losing much keeping him around two more seasons, but we will see what happens I suppose
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #180
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Was Mick your high school coach at Woodward?
Haha no.

I went to Dayton High School right across the river in KY. John wooden’s first and only losing season was at Dayton High School