Tyson Etienne, So., G, Wichita State*

Preseason All-Conference Second Team
Brandon Mahan, Gr., G, UCF
Emoni Bates, Fr., F, Memphis
Deandre Williams, Sr., F, Memphis
Jeremiah Davenport, Jr., G, Cincinnati
Jaylen Forbes, So., G, Tulane

What does everyone think?

Should we expect to be a middle-of-the-pack team this season or did the coaches sell us short with this ranking?
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:21 PM   #2
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I'll be optimistic and say we finish top 3. Adding Ado and Ody makes us much better on interior D. If our guards can shoot an average percentage, I expect to be right there with SMU and WSU.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Finishing 6th wouldn't be bad at all, given the circumstances we found ourselves in a few short months ago. I think finishing 3/4 would be a massive success on the year, and I more envision a 5th place finish, and would be really optimistic moving forward.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:42 PM   #4
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Finishing 6th wouldn't be bad at all, given the circumstances we found ourselves in a few short months ago. I think finishing 3/4 would be a massive success on the year, and I more envision a 5th place finish, and would be really optimistic moving forward.
I agree. 4th/5th place and a top 75 NET would likely guarantee an NIT berth, which would be a good accomplishment for a new coach and a squad with only 5 true returnees.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Seems like we can predict at least a "pretty good" D. Hopefully similar to an average Cronin squad. I have no idea what to predict on offense but hoping for mediocre this year without a clear alpha (or two).

I agree with most #3 ceiling and #6-7 seems like the floor. If Wes can pull together #3 we are in for a nice ride in the future. But I won't knock him for a mid conference finish. One thing is for sure the players seem to be having a lot of fun and encouraging one another so I would be surprised if we only reach the floor. Chemistry and effort should be amazing!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
I don't think it will be first or second. Really third doesn't mean too much in this conference right now, but it would mean the team is heading in the right direction. I've just resigned myself to see this year as a development year and not worry about wins and losses. It just won't be a contending year for them.

The big concern is reliable scoring from more than one or two guys. Hopefully the coaches can install an offense that gets more open looks and drives.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I think we finish top 4

But I just want continuous steady improvement all year. That’s the main goal and to establish culture and start recruiting to a big 12 level .

It’s a rebuild year. We can only really go up from the low bar that was previously set
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I would not call us talent heavy but we are DEEEEEP with solid players!! I don't know where that gets us in the AAC. Anywhere from 3 to 6 I guess.

I haven't heard a bunch out of practice but when your guys not expected to get a lot of minutes are surprising people...that is a good problem to have.

IF your first team is this...

Ado, Davenport, Newman, Dejulius, Saunders

and your 2nd team is this...

Koval, Oguama, Hensley, Madsen, Maw

and you still haven't played Lakhin (sounds promising) or McGinnis or Banks? This team is legit 10 deep probably 11 or more
Old 10-25-2021, 04:33 PM   #9
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I'll be pretty happy with where ever we finish as long as we come out, play defense and give it our all every game. No more lay-up lines and players giving up on the game.

I'd think the 3-6 range is fair, 3 is best case scenario. 6 is probably worst case scenario.

The depth is nice, but also concerning. It's hard to actually go 10 deep and very rare for teams to give serious minutes to that many guys. It's potentially problematic as your best players start to question why they spend so much time on the bench. Or the bench guys question why they aren't getting more minutes.

I hope Wes is prepared for it and has prepared the guys for it. I'm willing to bet that there are one or two players who came in expecting to play big minutes and are instead going to be bench warmers (my guess is Koval and Ody).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'll be pretty happy with where ever we finish as long as we come out, play defense and give it our all every game. No more lay-up lines and players giving up on the game.

I'd think the 3-6 range is fair, 3 is best case scenario. 6 is probably worst case scenario.

The depth is nice, but also concerning. It's hard to actually go 10 deep and very rare for teams to give serious minutes to that many guys. It's potentially problematic as your best players start to question why they spend so much time on the bench. Or the bench guys question why they aren't getting more minutes.

I hope Wes is prepared for it and has prepared the guys for it. I'm willing to bet that there are one or two players who came in expecting to play big minutes and are instead going to be bench warmers (my guess is Koval and Ody).
Not too worried about Koval as he is SR but yes Ody did not come from playing 50% of minutes at Wake to ride pine here. And because of the problem you mentioned with going 10 deep+ I could see a couple of portal guys after the year. Especially with some of the recruits coming in. And if we get more recruits like them I don't mind some minor portal action.

But Wes is a seller and motivator so who knows if anyone will leave. Wes selling rags to riches because of personal history should inspire players not to give up but rather to give more and try harder.