Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-09-2022, 07:53 PM   #11
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
For the most part I can’t complain. We were worried about offense and we kept up with an outlier performance by Memphis. The last 2.5 games have been encouraging to me. It’s an uphill battle but the product is looking much better!

We’ve laid some eggs but this wasn’t one of them. Especially outside shooting in an away gym. We fought back in a loud environment over and over and never gave up. Several times I thought the rout was on only to retake the lead. Great game but the last minute!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:09 AM   #12
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Sucks to lose a game when you make 16 threes. With the great outside shooting and limiting turnovers, it was easily our best offensive performance of the year. We were still unable to get to the free throw line, even against a very foul prone Memphis team. Inconsistency will always be a feature of this team if we rely on jump shots.

Unfortunately the defense was bad. Poor defensive rebounding was expected, but we also allowed too many rim looks and wide open threes.

Before the SMU game I pointed out how awful our starting guards were shooting the ball. They have been on fire the last two games. Hopefully they can keep this up and by the end of the year get their effective field goal percentages near 50%.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:19 AM   #13
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Yesterday I seen why Paul Mcmillan wasn't offered scholarship, it's nothing against him or Wes. The roster construction stinks and we don't have another spot for a under rim guard unless we cut bait with current players. We absolutely must get a passer on perimeter with length. I have high hopes for McGinnis but if doesn't show anything last couple months, its extremely hard justify his spot over arguably best Cincinnati high school player since OJ.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:22 AM   #14
TheRealMick
Elite Member

If MAW can't make left hand lay up in college or dunk, he has ZERO business being at UC. Memphis was GASSED at end of game. I don't know who you take out but I think Saunders speed was needed last 2 mins to break their backs!
Old 01-10-2022, 10:28 AM   #15
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Athleticism has been atrocious for this team past 7-8 years if not longer. Outside of Newman, Vik, Ody none of our players can out jump there man. JD was embarrassing trying grab rebounds yesterday and honestly should've been bench or moved to 3. None of our guards can get above rim at all. MAW at high major D1 blow game because he can't make lay up.

Last edited by TheRealMick; 01-10-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:30 PM   #16
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Brannen didn't recruit for length/athleticism generally speaking. It has left our team lacking in that regard. Especially since the one great athlete he did recruit (Tari) transferred out.

Wes has done pretty well on short notice with Ado/Ody/Hensley/Newman, I know Ado can't jump, but he has great length and is disruptive on defense. I'd also like to see Hensley get more of a run, he played solid in the 4 minutes he got against Memphis and matched up well on defense.

Next year we are bringing in Skillings/Reed, who are the type of athletic wings we need. Plus Hensley should get major minutes at the 4 and Lakhin/Ody should be a developed enough to stay on the court. We are trending in the right direction when it comes to adding length/athleticism, but we have to survive this year.

Memphis was gassed, but we were also gassed. Wes didn't go to the bench much in the second half. Our bench is pretty bad on defense. I'm guessing MAW played over Saunders for defense reasons and because MAW has been the better 3-point shooter lately.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:16 PM   #17
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
MAW is an incredible 8 for 12 from three in the last two games, bringing him up to 34% on the season. He's 13 of 24 since the X game. And he's kept the assists up and turnovers/fouls low like he has all year. Great stretch for him.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote