Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2022, 04:59 PM   #201
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Multiple reports on Landers Nolley visit this weekend.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:10 PM   #202
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Multiple reports on Landers Nolley visit this weekend.
That would be some much needed shooting potential.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:27 PM   #203
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Bucket getter. I've been wanting wing like this since Bishop and Lance.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 03:10 PM   #204
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
I still can't believe Wes hasn't offered or spoken with Darryn Jones yet. Kid without a doubt best Ohio prospect since Lebron and OJ. Hometown kid we have get on him soon.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 02:19 PM   #205
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Nolley announces tomorrow at 5. BCJ board seems confident.

He would be huge upgrade in length and athleticism on the wing. Nolley can score, but he's not efficient enough to cure our offensive woes by himself. At the risk of jumping the gun, here are potential rotations if Nolley commits and no one leaves.

PG: Phinisee 20 / MAW 15 / DDJ 5
SG: DDJ 20 / Newman 10 / Skillings 10
SF: Nolley 25 / Newman 10 / Reed 5
PF: Davenport 20 / Ody 10 / Hensley 10
C: Ezikpe 20 / Lakhin 15 / Ody 5
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #206
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

This is what I would want to see if playing time promises could be disregarded.

PG: DDJ 20 / Phinisee 20
SG: Newman 25 / Skillings 10 / DDJ 5
SF: Nolley 25 / Davenport 10 / Reed 5
PF: Ody 20 / Davenport 10 / Hensley 10
C: Ezikpe 20 / Lakhin 20
Old 04-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #207
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Nolley announces tomorrow at 5. BCJ board seems confident.

He would be huge upgrade in length and athleticism on the wing. Nolley can score, but he's not efficient enough to cure our offensive woes by himself. At the risk of jumping the gun, here are potential rotations if Nolley commits and no one leaves.

PG: Phinisee 20 / MAW 15 / DDJ 5
SG: DDJ 20 / Newman 10 / Skillings 10
SF: Nolley 25 / Newman 10 / Reed 5
PF: Davenport 20 / Ody 10 / Hensley 10
C: Ezikpe 20 / Lakhin 15 / Ody 5
That would be pretty close to my thinking. But I would put Kalu at 10 and 10 at 4 and 5. Ody and Vik 15 at the 5
Old 04-26-2022, 06:44 PM   #208
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I expect at one of the three transfer to be a bust, I'm not sure what percentage of transfers pan out, but I think it's no better than 2/3. Fans tend to overhype transfers and underhype returning players and I think that is true of this transfer class.

Ezikpe is going to be a bust. I'm calling it and you can quote this post if I'm wrong. His rebound rate per 40 minutes is worse than Ody's and Vik's, he wasn't the best big man on his team, he had the worst +/- on his team two years in a row, he's a bad defender. As long as Ody/Vik progress as I think they should, they will both be clearly better than him as will Hensley and Davenport.

Phinisee is not a clear starter over MAW either. MAW is slightly better in regards to assists, TO's and shooting percentage, they are pretty equal on defense and Phinisee is a bit stronger. If they are equal, giving MAW more minutes makes sense as he can return for his Covid year (and we really want him to stay as our only veteran guard).

Nolley is the only clear high quality transfer (if we get him). I'd agree that moving DDJ to PG makes the most sense. If that's not an option, I think bringing Nolley off the bench (playing starter minutes) might make the most sense. DDJ and Nolley are the two guys who can score/distribute at a high usage, you want one of them on the court at all times and the best way to accomplish that could be to bring one off the bench.

If you aren't moving DDJ to PG and Newman to SG, Nolley isn't a clear starter over Newman. Newman put up better rebounding numbers and is a better defender. Nolley is better offensively, but if DDJ is playing a lot of 1v1 we may prefer a better defender/rebounder on the court.

My minutes predictions:
PG: MAW 20 / DDJ 10/ Phinisee 10
SG: DDJ 15 / Newman 20 / Skillings 5
SF: Nolley 25 / Hensley 10 / Newman 5
PF: Davenport 20 / Hensley 10 / Ody 5 / Reed 5
C: Lakhin 20 / Ody 15 / Ezikpe 5
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:06 PM   #209
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I expect at one of the three transfer to be a bust, I'm not sure what percentage of transfers pan out, but I think it's no better than 2/3. Fans tend to overhype transfers and underhype returning players and I think that is true of this transfer class.

Ezikpe is going to be a bust. I'm calling it and you can quote this post if I'm wrong. His rebound rate per 40 minutes is worse than Ody's and Vik's, he wasn't the best big man on his team, he had the worst +/- on his team two years in a row, he's a bad defender. As long as Ody/Vik progress as I think they should, they will both be clearly better than him as will Hensley and Davenport.

Phinisee is not a clear starter over MAW either. MAW is slightly better in regards to assists, TO's and shooting percentage, they are pretty equal on defense and Phinisee is a bit stronger. If they are equal, giving MAW more minutes makes sense as he can return for his Covid year (and we really want him to stay as our only veteran guard).

Nolley is the only clear high quality transfer (if we get him). I'd agree that moving DDJ to PG makes the most sense. If that's not an option, I think bringing Nolley off the bench (playing starter minutes) might make the most sense. DDJ and Nolley are the two guys who can score/distribute at a high usage, you want one of them on the court at all times and the best way to accomplish that could be to bring one off the bench.

If you aren't moving DDJ to PG and Newman to SG, Nolley isn't a clear starter over Newman. Newman put up better rebounding numbers and is a better defender. Nolley is better offensively, but if DDJ is playing a lot of 1v1 we may prefer a better defender/rebounder on the court.

My minutes predictions:
Despite everything you said, we still end up close to the same place in our predictions. The only guys with more than 5 minutes difference are Phinisee, Hensley, and Ezikpe. I'm not very high on Phinisee, but he will be the only true PG on the roster so I can easily see him playing 20 mpg.

The major difference is Ezikpe, whose minutes you gave to Vik and Hensley. I have no idea if Ezikpe will pan out. Despite his weaknesses, his physical strength and post scoring ability are skills the other bigs struggle with. I'm hopeful that one of Ody/Vik/Ezikpe is able to play the 4 this year so we have better rebounding. Yeah, Ezikpe's rebounding rates are worse than Ody/Vik, but they're still good. It would be nice to have two of those three on the court together since the rest of our team is bad at rebounding.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:42 AM   #210
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

My minutes predictions:
This seems a bit pessimistic to me. If Wes and staff are that bad evaluating portal players (after having some time this year)...then we are in big trouble.

My guess is he has seen what you have and more and has decided Kalu can help in several ways whether he starts or not. If he gets 5 minutes there was no reason to have him for a visit really. I particularly like him as a 2nd big when we need it (at the 4)...he can still pressure the D a little rather than having a 2nd big who can't do anything on offense outside of 5 ft. Then obviously for foul trouble at the 5 is a no brainer since Vik and Ody will both definitely have that problem. 5 minutes for Kalu is WAY WAY low.

Phinisee is being brought in for defense mainly and his offensive numbers will probably improve after competing in B10 and coming to AAC. Also both Matta and Morgan would have some good insight. I don't expect a lot from the PG's unless we can get DDJ there for 10mpg or someone like NOlley. Not sure where to put Rob's minutes.

If Nolley comes he is one of the top 2 players and I am not gonna put one of them on the bench. One of the biggest problems we had was not having enough offense on the court so it was easy to figure out who to guard. He will start at the 3 and I don't care how we have to do it...Newman can start at the 4 for all I care. But Newman will still get 20+ mpg I think. I am backing up both DDJ and Nolley with Newman.