Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #1481
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
We should have at least 3-4 Ohio players on roster at all times.
Local players are great if they are good. I would rather have the best players we can get and that fit the system. I care about winning more than where the player is from. If they are local, it’s a bonus
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #1482
Profchaos102

Profchaos102 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
it helps with local tradition. Right now we have zero local pipelines. BTW the 250-400 best players in high school aren't exactly mid major players. Mid major guys play naia or d3. If I'm get project it has to have local ties.
This isn’t football. The Cincinnati area doesn’t exactly pump out top basketball recruits every year. Sure, bring up Hayes, but we aren’t going to recruit every local guy. Our best players have generally been from the basketball hotbeds of the East Coast and South. If you want local, we have had plenty of local guys in the past or guys that currently play on the team. Gates, KJ, Cumberland x 2 and Davenport all come to mind. I’m sure we had more but the names escape me. But recruiting heavily Ohio for basketball seems like a bad idea.
Profchaos102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #1483
Profchaos102

Profchaos102 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's really Moore I'm looking at. If he improved we wouldn't had need for Jaevin. You can't be scholarship player not producing as senior if not local player.
Also, why would it matter if a player that isn’t producing is local or not? I don’t care if he’s a player from my Cincinnati high school alma mater or a former top recruit from Oak Hills Academy in Virginia. If he is underperforming, it shouldn’t matter where he is from.
Profchaos102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #1484
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
I beg to differ about the local recruiting. There is lots of talent in Cincinnati and in Ohio. What turned of local recruits, or should I say parents of local recruits was what happened with Huggins and Yancey Gates non development under Mick.
Before Huggins was fired he probably had one of the best incoming Freshman Classes, which would have been highlighted by OJ Mayo and Bill Walker both Cincinnati products.

After Gates, Mick stayed away from local recruits, and local recruits stayed away from Mick, based on UC's style of play under Mick. That bogged down offensive style was a turn off.

Brannen bringing a Pro Style offense, unlocks the key to the local players again. He may not get them all, but he's headed in the right direction for years to come.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #1485
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
I beg to differ about the local recruiting. There is lots of talent in Cincinnati and in Ohio. What turned of local recruits, or should I say parents of local recruits was what happened with Huggins and Yancey Gates non development under Mick.
Before Huggins was fired he probably had one of the best incoming Freshman Classes, which would have been highlighted by OJ Mayo and Bill Walker both Cincinnati products.

After Gates, Mick stayed away from local recruits, and local recruits stayed away from Mick, based on UC's style of play under Mick. That bogged down offensive style was a turn off.

Brannen bringing a Pro Style offense, unlocks the key to the local players again. He may not get them all, but he's headed in the right direction for years to come.
I see u know something. We almost didn't even get Yancy, we paid a STEEP price. Local recruits just didn't like Mick. Dayton and Cincinnati stay with top 200 players. Only need one every year to always have 3-4 on team
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #1486
TheRealMick
Elite Member

The kid from Princeton(who skipped college), Hayes, carlik Jones, curtis and jaylen Avery all should've been at UC. Jones was the PG on all Cumberland aau teams growing up all way up till college. He should've at least got offered scholarship this time around. Smh Radford has a PG getting invites to CP3 elite camp.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #1487
TheRealMick
Elite Member

I forgot about Kyle guy another local kid that always wanted UC offer that NEVER came.

Jones/avery
Cumberland/curtis
Guy
Bazley
Hayes

This type teams UC needs going forward and all this guys were local.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #1488
Michigancat

Michigancat is on a distinguished road
Thanks for thoughts. I forgot how locals avoided Mick and vice versa. His lack of offense showed particularly when the opponent played zone. It seemed like UC players never learned how to attack a zone defense under Mick's tenure. It used to frustrate me to watch games when the opponent went to a zone because all we would do is stand around on offense. If I were a recruit, I wouldn't have wanted to play here in the past because Mick was so one sided in his coaching with mainly emphasizing defense. There just wasn't a balance between offensive and defense. As Loser Mentality points out, hopefully we can attract better recruits now with Brannen's pro style offense.
Michigancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #1489
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The kid from Princeton(who skipped college), Hayes, carlik Jones, curtis and jaylen Avery all should've been at UC. Jones was the PG on all Cumberland aau teams growing up all way up till college. He should've at least got offered scholarship this time around. Smh Radford has a PG getting invites to CP3 elite camp.
Bazley was never going to come to UC.

Carlik Jones, Avery...Seriously? Are we building a mid-level MAC program?

Guy was a UC fan and a 5* recruit, but he wasn't local. The talent in Cincinnati has been average, at best.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:58 AM   #1490
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Some other notable local players who went elsewhere during the Cronin era were Chane Behanan, Semaj Christon, Jordan Sibert, and Bill Edwards.

While grabbing one or two of those guys would've provided a nice boost, I think missing them is just the reality of recruiting in the crossroads of ACC/SEC/Big Ten country. A good proportion of the top local talent will overlook us for a variety of reasons and we just have to fight through it.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote