Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #31
Vanhoop

Vanhoop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Just going based on our recruiting it seems like we are going to be playing small quite a bit next year. With Diarra and Scott at the 5.

We still have multiple PG's, SG's and Wings on our recruiting radar. But the only center I know of us recruiting for this year is Sorolla and he is not starter quality. Unless we have a under-the-radar center we are recruiting.
I think Chris Vogt will be the big man right??? Also have not seen it on here yet bet I'm sure you know we also just signed Woods.
Vanhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #32
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhoop View Post
I think Chris Vogt will be the big man right??? Also have not seen it on here yet bet I'm sure you know we also just signed Woods.
Vogt has to sit a year as a transfer. As of now Diarra is the only center on the roster. Sorolla is a possible addition but isn't starter quality. Though I haven't heard much of anything about Nsoseme visiting other schools and wonder if we can convince him to stay.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #33
Vanhoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Vogt has to sit a year as a transfer. As of now Diarra is the only center on the roster. Sorolla is a possible addition but isn't starter quality. Though I haven't heard much of anything about Nsoseme visiting other schools and wonder if we can convince him to stay.
Damn! Thought he was good to go if the coach left.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #34
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhoop View Post
I didn't think so since Brannen left I think he can play immediately.Is this not correct?? I think maybe you can't follow your coach without sitting a year maybe that's why?
Vogt has to sit. Just like Brooks. Curtis won’t have to because he was not enrolled as an incoming recruit. Outside of that you need a waiver for some hardship like injury or moving closer to home etc
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #35
Vanhoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Vogt has to sit. Just like Brooks. Curtis won’t have to because he was not enrolled as an incoming recruit. Outside of that you need a waiver for some hardship like injury or moving closer to home etc
Damn...for some reason I thought they changed that in 2018. No rim protector and big time foul trouble down low all season then.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #36
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Jaevin at 87% FT and 40% from 3 last year. Those are both outstanding considering the volume of 3's! ORTG was at 116 last year on 21 % usage. Cane was never that high even at Sacred Heart. Jaevin was the focal point of opposing D's all be it in the Horizon and somehow managed to get off 8 threes per game without serious play making ball skills. I would guess half of those shots were contested. Jarron is going to take that pressure off but the defenders he will face will get better. I don't think he will get off 8 threes per game but I hope he and Jarron can average about 6 each.

At 87% from the FT line he becomes your go to for FT's at end of game. He played 37 mpg so I don't think fatigue will be much of an issue as it didn't seem to be with Jarron. I think 25 mpg is an absolute minimum. I could even see 32.5 if he is efficient as he was last year (or better). Williams faded off at the end of season last year....so I hope he gets it going again. If I had to put money on minutes I would probably place Jaevin just ahead of Keith. Keith will be awesome in the break though and he can probably defend at a higher level for sure.

Based on the speed at which Brannen will play it's hard to put anyone at more than 32.5 mpg. But we seem to have 4 players who are clearly a notch above the rest...at least at this point.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #37
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Jaevin at 87% FT and 40% from 3 last year. Those are both outstanding considering the volume of 3's! ORTG was at 116 last year on 21 % usage. Cane was never that high even at Sacred Heart. Jaevin was the focal point of opposing D's all be it in the Horizon and somehow managed to get off 8 threes per game without serious play making ball skills. I would guess half of those shots were contested. Jarron is going to take that pressure off but the defenders he will face will get better. I don't think he will get off 8 threes per game but I hope he and Jarron can average about 6 each.

At 87% from the FT line he becomes your go to for FT's at end of game. He played 37 mpg so I don't think fatigue will be much of an issue as it didn't seem to be with Jarron. I think 25 mpg is an absolute minimum. I could even see 32.5 if he is efficient as he was last year (or better). Williams faded off at the end of season last year....so I hope he gets it going again. If I had to put money on minutes I would probably place Jaevin just ahead of Keith. Keith will be awesome in the break though and he can probably defend at a higher level for sure.

Based on the speed at which Brannen will play it's hard to put anyone at more than 32.5 mpg. But we seem to have 4 players who are clearly a notch above the rest...at least at this point.

Jaevin actually wasn't the focal point and I think thats a great thing for us. He did well at being the 2nd option. Xavier Hill-Mais had a 29.2 usage rate last year for Oakland.

Jaevin was the exact type of player we needed to add. He's a better fit for what we need than KW is.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #38
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Jaevin actually wasn't the focal point and I think thats a great thing for us. He did well at being the 2nd option. Xavier Hill-Mais had a 29.2 usage rate last year for Oakland.

Jaevin was the exact type of player we needed to add. He's a better fit for what we need than KW is.
Thanks for that. I was wondering how or why he was only at 21% usage.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #39
waterhead
Senior Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq5XpBBX2jg

Watch this video...it's poor quality but you can get the point. Almost every shot in this mix tape is Jaevin shooting from NBA range, or with a man in his face, or one dribble quick release, and or off balance.

Contrast that with MOST of what Jenifer did. He camped out right on the college 3 line catch and shoot. Now take the volume of 8 threes per game of Cumberland to 4 for Jenifer. I would venture to guess Jenifer shot 3 out of 4 of his threes right on the line catch and shoot (open). My guess is Cumberland shoots 50% of his shots with a higher degree of difficulty.

No disrespect to Jenifer. He made a great %. But if Cumberland shot the same type of shots...he may have been over 50%. And if Justin tried to do what Jaevin did he would probably be closer to 30%.

Last edited by waterhead; 06-05-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #40
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq5XpBBX2jg

Watch this video...it's poor quality but you can get the point. Almost every shot in this mix tape is Jaevin shooting from NBA range, or with a man in his face, or one dribble quick release, and or off balance.

Contrast that with MOST of what Jenifer did. He camped out right on the college 3 line catch and shoot. Now take the volume of 8 threes per game of Cumberland to 4 for Jenifer. I would venture to guess Jenifer shot 3 out of 4 of his threes right on the line catch and shoot (open). My guess is Cumberland shoots 50% of his shots with a higher degree of difficulty.

No disrespect to Jenifer. He made a great %. But if Cumberland shot the same type of shots...he may have been over 50%. And if Justin tried to do what Jaevin did he would probably be closer to 30%.

give me 40% on 8 attempts a game over 44% on 3 attempts a game all day.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote