Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #51
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Congrats to the coaching staff on adding another prospect. I figure anyone halfway decent with size at this point is a plus. We have the scholarships and will be wanting experienced sophomores going into 2021-22. Brannen has basically signed a whole new team with five frosh coming in.

But…seven newcomers! Wow, that's a lot of new guys learning and buying into your system.

Since we just signed another new (sort of wirey) big guy, has Vogt confirmed if he's coming back? I figured Williams might wait longer to decide, but I'd like to know if the guy who likely knows the system best is returning to the team. We could use him to help teach the new players.

And as far as we know right now, DeJulius is going to need to sit out a year. I feel okay about Adams-Woods handling the point, but it'll be a bit more strained the following season if guys haven't sorted their rolls out.
I like the idea of filling up the roster in today's transfer age. Kids are looking to find the right spot for themselves year in and year out. The more we have on the roster the less we have to worry about a transfer killing a season. Especially when we are getting a lot of guys who can play multiple positions. Not to mention CJB has been pretty much killing it in the transfer world...so even if we lose a player or two it will probably end up as a net gain.

If Dejulius sits...it would put a damper on my hopes for this season a little bit but then again it would leave me extremely excited and hopeful for the next two. And to be honest I personally would rather have/save that talent and depth for the future rather than this season. We have a lot of talented youth and I would rather see DD working with them as veterans and upper classmen.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #52
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Not bad at all this late in the process to find that young big we were looking for. He can probably red shirt and put some muscle on. Nice fit
He could red shirt, but he's basically the same size as Eason. An inch taller. And if you go by the 247 Sports numbers, he's projected to be nearly the same quality of player as Eason. That might not mean red shirting for Brannen right now. Although we will have a healthy number of bigs, surprisingly.

I was looking at Lakhin's numbers in Russia last night. I don't know if I saw the full picture or not, but nothing jumped out at me saying this was a top prospect player. Not saying he'll be bad, just that he's got some training to do for sure. Pretty good free throw shooter, but not a great 3 point shooter, and 2 point percentage was kind of average for a guy his size. Rebounding didn't jump out.

Maybe I saw just a small snapshot. It showed three seasons and looked like more than one team.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:36 AM   #53
sirthought

The way that 247 article wrote about Lakhin, they made it sound like he's a real catch and could maybe be a stretch guy? Did I read into that wrong?

Would be nice to have a combo guy that could play outside but also work inside with the big guys. I guess that's what Brannen had at NKU.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #54
sirthought

Translated from a Russian article:

Quote:
The double forward Victor Lakhin (19 years, 208 cm) accepted the invitation of the Cincinnati College. The youngest of the Lakhin brothers, natives of Anapa, who play for the CSKA youth project teams, has been working in the army basketball system since the age of 14.

For the last four years Victor has played for CSKA-DUB, CSKA Junior and CSKA-2. Last season, the forward appeared only sporadically in the second team (3 games, 2.7 points, 3.0 rebounds), and was one of the leaders of "Junior" (39 matches, 9.6 points, 5.5 rebounds).

In 2019, Victor impressed fans and scouts at the Junior (U18) European Championship as part of the Russian national team. He had 9.8 points, 7.0 rebounds and 1.3 blocks and helped the team to sixth place in the tournament.

Lakhin Jr. has already officially been granted amateur status, which will allow him to play without restrictions for the Cincinnati University team starting in the first year.

The college basketball team is one of the most titled in the student league. The Bears have made the playoffs for the past decade, winning the American Conference regular season last season. They have participated in the NCAA Finals Four six times, won the title twice, and released 57 players selected in the NBA Draft, including stars such as Oscar Robertson and Kenyon Martin.

We sincerely wish Victor to fully realize his considerable potential, to prove himself in American student basketball, to grow to the level of the NBA and one day to return to his native CSKA as a accomplished
professional.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #55
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
He could red shirt, but he's basically the same size as Eason. An inch taller. And if you go by the 247 Sports numbers, he's projected to be nearly the same quality of player as Eason. That might not mean red shirting for Brannen right now. Although we will have a healthy number of bigs, surprisingly.

I was looking at Lakhin's numbers in Russia last night. I don't know if I saw the full picture or not, but nothing jumped out at me saying this was a top prospect player. Not saying he'll be bad, just that he's got some training to do for sure. Pretty good free throw shooter, but not a great 3 point shooter, and 2 point percentage was kind of average for a guy his size. Rebounding didn't jump out.

Maybe I saw just a small snapshot. It showed three seasons and looked like more than one team.
I don't know a lot about him but physically Tari looks more ready to play. We won't need 5 bigs (with Davenport as a 4 as well). 4 bigs should get us by in any season without injury.

Either way I like the pickup and using the international market. CJB leaving no stone un-turned.

It's interesting that his rating is so high considering there is not much out there on the kid...that leaves me optimistic. Probably some good upside here!
Old 06-15-2020, 09:23 AM   #56
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The way that 247 article wrote about Lakhin, they made it sound like he's a real catch and could maybe be a stretch guy? Did I read into that wrong?

Would be nice to have a combo guy that could play outside but also work inside with the big guys. I guess that's what Brannen had at NKU.
I think Brannen wants all or most of his bigs to be able to stretch the floor. I could see him having one guy like Vogt or Sorolla on each roster if we are getting abused inside. But he wants to play 5 out motion.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #57
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think Brannen wants all or most of his bigs to be able to stretch the floor. I could see him having one guy like Vogt or Sorolla on each roster if we are getting abused inside. But he wants to play 5 out motion.
What is also cool about Brannen is he is adding players in positions where much of the fan base ALSO sees the same exact need. In this case many fans were hoping for a HS big or a transfer that could sit one and play 2. In that regard it's another home run for the roster (this late in the game) with what seemed like the last hole to fill. Process complete!! Not much glaring at me right now as a big hole to fill for current year or future. That's how you fill out a roster!
Old 06-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #58
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

he really wants his bigs to be able to pass.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #59
sirthought

Well, a good sign is that Lakhin has been complimented on his passing. And he's been playing organized ball since he was 14. I think he has two older brothers who also play. That might mean he's had some decent motivation/competition to get better.

I like that Eason and Lakhin will be coming up through the program together. Even if one red shirts, they'll be learning and training the same way and can give each other some good competition in practice.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #60
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
he really wants his bigs to be able to pass.
That would be nice! I feel like we have been close to 350th in using the extra pass over the years to get the perfect shot. Gary Clark made that concept work as a big but we haven't had a lot of that from the inside over the years.

I would love to see more passers who know how to skip a rotation and not just go to the next guy over. Clark would skip a rotation and so would Jarron. It helps a lot!