Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #31
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I don't even want to look for a new coach soon. Because I think we will find that we aren't nearly as desirable as people think. I mean look at the candidates for the last time UC came open: Frank Martin (who ultimately pulled himself out of the race) and John brannen (who was local, but has just a few years under his belt and no other offers beside us).

The reality is... we just need John Brannen to win. And right the ship next year. Like I do every season, Ill wipe the slate clean and give the new year a start. I only get disgruntled when I see reason to be (and there was plenty).

When UC basketball isn't winning consistently, we aren't a top program. We don't get top kids, we aren't a Jordan or Nike school, we are In an awful league that lost a major brand in UCONN and a major coach in Greg Marshall. Imagine if Kelvin Sampson decides to retire or leave? Then this is on par or maybe worse than the A10.

The more years we lose, the more it seems like this program is on the decline held up by 2 coaches who went on to have success at other schools.

Because if the UC job was open when Nate Oates and Mussleman were still on the market, Im confident they wouldn't have chosen cincinnati.

we are a few bad years away from being full blow mid major.

So I just want to John to win and win quickly. Because firing him is even an bigger gamble with a even smaller group of people who'd be good and be willing to come coach here.

TLDR; We aint the high major we think we are.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #32
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I don't even want to look for a new coach soon. Because I think we will find that we aren't nearly as desirable as people think. I mean look at the candidates for the last time UC came open: Frank Martin (who ultimately pulled himself out of the race) and John brannen (who was local, but has just a few years under his belt and no other offers beside us).

The reality is... we just need John Brannen to win. And right the ship next year. Like I do every season, Ill wipe the slate clean and give the new year a start. I only get disgruntled when I see reason to be (and there was plenty).

When UC basketball isn't winning consistently, we aren't a top program. We don't get top kids, we aren't a Jordan or Nike school, we are In an awful league that lost a major brand in UCONN and a major coach in Greg Marshall. Imagine if Kelvin Sampson decides to retire or leave? Then this is on par or maybe worse than the A10.

The more years we lose, the more it seems like this program is on the decline held up by 2 coaches who went on to have success at other schools.

Because if the UC job was open when Nate Oates and Mussleman were still on the market, Im confident they wouldn't have chosen cincinnati.

So I just want to John to win and win quickly. Because firing him is even an bigger gamble with a even smaller group of people who'd be good and be willing to come coach here.

I agree.
Concomitant , even Huggins said it’s not as easy
to recruit to Cincinnati as people think.
Any idea why ? Was that an excuse or an out ?
Now, with the AAC I understand, but previously ?
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #33
UCats329

UCats329 is on a distinguished road
Looks like Greg McDermott might need a job here shortly.

Maybe he can get UC basketball back on the plantation.
UCats329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:12 AM   #34
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I don’t think anyone thinks we are a high major job. It’s hard to get players here. We aren’t the big boys. Doesn’t mean we can’t be good. Just have to build it. Like Huggins did, like cronin did. We will see if brannen can do the same. Who knows. No one thinks we are high major
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #35
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I don’t think anyone thinks we are a high major job. It’s hard to get players here. We aren’t the big boys. Doesn’t mean we can’t be good. Just have to build it. Like Huggins did, like cronin did. We will see if brannen can do the same. Who knows. No one thinks we are high major
All D1 schools that can travel around to major aau events are major players. This isn’t football where SEC or BIG10 rules. You flat out have show up and sit at table with big boys. All kids care about is the D1 branding. You absolutely have to travel and really recruit it’s not that hard being honest. With social media and aau events every weekend we shouldn’t never not have a full roster of guys WE wanted. 50k students, middle of major city, $1mil yr job, $100mil arena, where does that say mid major? Cronin actually made us think less than what we are!
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #36
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
All D1 schools that can travel around to major aau events are major players. This isn’t football where SEC or BIG10 rules. You flat out have show up and sit at table with big boys. All kids care about is the D1 branding. You absolutely have to travel and really recruit it’s not that hard being honest. With social media and aau events every weekend we shouldn’t never not have a full roster of guys WE wanted. 50k students, middle of major city, $1mil yr job, $100mil arena, where does that say mid major? Cronin actually made us think less than what we are!
This is what I’ve always said. You can win anywhere in basketball, but if you aren’t in a bigger conference, it is harder. Can still be done. But less and less kids are worried about going to the dukes and uks. We see more guys wanting to be the guy at a smaller school or close to home. I think that helps us.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #37
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
9 out of the 2021 top 100 recruits went to non power 6 schools
8 out of the 2021 top 100 recruits went to non Power 6 schools

And 9 of those 17 players went to 2 schools (Gonzaga and Memphis)

So its not just hard work, because if that was the case we'd see more and more top players go to smaller schools.

The majority of top 100 players who don't go Power 6 go to Memphis or Gonzaga. Memphis has a NBA superstar as its coach. Gonzaga has mark few who built his brand over years and years.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:31 PM   #38
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:

So its not just hard work, because if that was the case we'd see more and more top players go to smaller schools.

The majority of top 100 players who don't go Power 6 go to Memphis or Gonzaga. Memphis has a NBA superstar as its coach. Gonzaga has mark few who built his brand over years and years.
Trust me, it’s not the conference it’s then teams have resources and attend a lot of tournaments to be seen at. 90% of kids have to look up what conference Iowa st or creighton play in. It’s only like 10 coaches if that that’s recognizable just walking in gyms these days. It’s the resources we need upgrading in. Is Brannen going attend local tournament in Indy where he is known or does he play with big boys and go to shoe company circuits in Vegas, Texas, atl? What we need is an assistant that can dominate at local events while Brannen works his magic with the elites
Old 03-05-2021, 04:36 PM   #39
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:

Seriously what other name brand school doesn’t play in P5? Stop acting like it’s some dogs in mid majors. If we picking between Colorado or bowling green what player go pick BG?
They don’t understand what conference either team in.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #40
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Brannen not being scared play and lose against anybody is #1 recruiting pitch right now, sell guys we going into duke, Uk , Indiana, etc playing them not worrying about return games