Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #1241
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If Erik Martin is hired and brings on NVE as assistant HC I would be on board with trying that out. Seems to be some legs on that being a possible option.

If it's just one or the other I am not that interested in Martin. I would prefer one of the other candidates not named Savino or F Martin.
Martin and NVE would be interesting if nothing else. You know they would care and be passionate about it. I wouldn’t hate it. It’s definitely outside the box
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #1242
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Any idea if they interviewed with the intent of them coaching together?
I've heard Terry Nelson mention this in two seperate interviews. (Martin being the HC and Van Exel being his assistant).

I know those guys talk, and I'd be shocked if Terry would put this out there publicly if Nick was trying to land the HC job himself.

I could be wrong, but that sure sounds like the plan, or pitch they're trying to sell.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #1243
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
It's to the point where I'm actually hoping (at least for your sake) that you're related to Mick Cronin, or that you are a close friend of the family.

Because if you're not, then you're level of fandom for Mick Cronin in borderline disturbing. It's been clear since day 1 of the Brannen hire that you were butthurt about your boy leaving. You would have thought we just let John Wooden walk out the door.

Don't get me wrong, Mick Cronin is a decent coach but there's plenty of argument to be made that it was time to move on.

Also, you have zero clue just how good are next coach could be. They could very well end up being more successfull here than Mick. At least give them a chance.

PS Quit focusing solely on win totals. You completely ignore the strength of the OOC, and the strength of the conference over those 3 years. Don't tell me a coach that *only* wins 75 games over that same 3 years and advance further in the tournament isn't the more successful coach.
Yeah Mick the decent coach that just went to the final 4 and is ranked number 2 in the top early top 25 lmfao. Mick is a great coach who just couldn’t land recruits at UC
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #1244
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Sounds like we are going with Martin.. hopefully that means NVE comes along
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #1245
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Really hope you're hearing wrong.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #1246
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Chad seems to be confirming.

Welp this is bottom of the barrel. If this was the plan the whole time, thats a big yikes.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #1247
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Sure hope Nick comes along if true. We are going to need some big time recruits to help with lack of HC experience. I would think with NVE on board we can put in a higher octane offense. And they are both familiar with the toughness it takes. Bring in one more X's and O's guy and it could work.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #1248
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Sure hope Nick comes along if true. We are going to need some big time recruits to help with lack of HC experience. I would think with NVE on board we can put in a higher octane offense. And they are both familiar with the toughness it takes. Bring in one more X's and O's guy and it could work.
I do think a modern xo guy with analytical approach is needed on this bench...

I'm good with the hire if we can get NVE here... Biggest concern would be style of play vs modern hoops.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #1249
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Erik Martin could be an absolute disaster.

But I will support him.

If he does fail. We can finally put this Huggins era to bed.

This is the ultimate gamble.

I’d have taken Archie, tang, gates and others over him.

But at least he ain’t a Xavier guy
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:56 PM   #1250
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

Any hire could be a disaster. This is surely taking a chance.. let's see what happens.