Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-15-2021, 10:38 AM   #51
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Wes has team CP3 locked down basically. Top 5 aau team in nation. The feds killed lebron Ohio team, we’ve probably never been this connected with aau team before.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:41 AM   #52
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
I'll adjust my expectations as far as wins and losses go from year to year. What I'll be following the closest these first couple of years is recruiting.

Can this dude recruit top 200 kids? Can he build out his staff with coaches that can get in the door nd attract major talent?

My biggest questions surrounding this guy is why his entire coaching career has been at such a low level. If Roy Williams loves him so much why didn't he put him on his staff between his stops as an assistant at Elon, High Point and UNCG?

Why has has been stuck at UNCG for 10 years? I don't buy because he wanted the UNC job. They could have hired him away from anywhere. And he probably wouldn't have had a better shot at it had he left UNCG and proven himself elsewhere.

I will say this, like it not, if he doesn't have this team at 20 wins by year 3 at the latest then this basketball program will suffer. I hope they chose someone they expect can get this up and running quickly. Because that 5 1/2 year rebuild he did at UNCG aint going to cut it here.
Why was he stuck there for ten years? Bro he’s only 38 lol. You act like he’s in his 50s
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #53
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Why was he stuck there for ten years? Bro he’s only 38 lol. You act like he’s in his 50s
I'm not sure what his age has to do with anything I said.

Did he spend 10 years as the HC at UNC Greensboro or not?
Old 04-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #54
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
I'm not sure what his age has to do with anything I said.

Did he spend 10 years as the HC at UNC Greensboro or not?
It has everything to do with it, he’s young, he’s building his skills and reputation. You think P5 schools out here hiring 32-33yr old coaches all the time? Think....
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #55
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Hey my Brooks are comfortable though.
Get Some ultra boost.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #56
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
It has everything to do with it, he’s young, he’s building his skills and reputation. You think P5 schools out here hiring 32-33yr old coaches all the time? Think....
Yeah, he got the job unexpectedly mid-season at age 28, and frankly those first few years he was figuring out how to do the job and rebuilding an absolutely moribund program.

The past 5 years he has been building a resume and becoming a serious high-level candidate
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #57
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
A small story about a coach.

This is a guy with no ties to UC or the Greater Cincinnati area. At age 28, he got his first head coaching job. It took him a bit of time to figure out his identity, but by his early 30s he was clearly a coach on the rise. He won 20+ games 4 straight seasons with a mid-major that had previously been very bad for some time. He even got them into the NCAA tournament, although he did not win any games there.

In his late 30s, still one of the youngest coaches in college basketball and with zero career NCAA tournament wins, but a passion for the game and a love of defensive pressure, he was hired at UC.

Today he is one of the winningest coaches in NCAA history, and UC's all-time wins leader.

Let's just hope Wes doesn't sleep with any booster's wives or vomit on a cop at a DUI stop.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #58
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Roy Williams has purchased Season tickets and is now a UCATS member

Crazy
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #59
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Roy Williams has purchased Season tickets and is now a UCATS member

Crazy
This is awesome, but part of me hopes Chad's sources are just trolling him.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #60
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
A UNC series would be pretty cool. Or 1 game neutral site game
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote