Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-21-2021, 10:51 AM   #281
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
He was not terrible “through and through.” Dude should not have ever been playing as much as he did though, at his size 20-25 min should have been max. All his production decreased because of his overuse.

Vogt gets too much hate. He played very well until he injured his shoulder. Once that happened it was all over. It seems the injury didn't heal correctly after the first surgery and that's why he had to have another surgery this offseason.

People forget the coaches voted him 2nd team all conference in the preseason because of how good he was before the injury. He still fought hard despite playing a season and a half injured.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #282
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
So I've been wondering if Newman is going to push MAW to the bench. I know there are varying views on MAW, but I've always held he's a very solid bench guy. I can see Newman being the starting 2 with JD at the 3 if we pick up some bigs.

Newman is likely the better player and better fit. MAW's lack of athleticism holds him back.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:59 PM   #283
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
MAW is underrated...
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:21 PM   #284
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
So I've been wondering if Newman is going to push MAW to the bench. I know there are varying views on MAW, but I've always held he's a very solid bench guy. I can see Newman being the starting 2 with JD at the 3 if we pick up some bigs.

Newman is likely the better player and better fit. MAW's lack of athleticism holds him back.
I'll go back to my depth chart again. This is the one I posted a couple months ago:

PG: DeJulius 20 / Saunders 20
SG: Transfer 10 / MAW 15 / Mason 15
SF: Davenport 10 / Transfer 15 / Gabe 15
PF: Eason 20 / Davenport 20
C: Transfer 25 / Diarra 5 / Eason 5 / Lakhin 5

Newman basically takes my transfer wing spot. Since Gabe is out, we have room for another wing transfer. Now I think:

PG: DeJulius 20 / Saunders 20
SG: Newman 10 / MAW 15 / Mason 15
SF: Davenport 10 / Newman 15 / Transfer1 15
PF: Transfer2 20 / Davenport 10 / Transfer4 10
C: Transfer3 20 / Transfer4 10 / Lakhin 10

I think we still have room for 1 wing and 3 bigs to get 15-25 mpg depending on how good they are. Most guys on Wes teams play 25 min or less. Last year only Isaiah Miller played more, and he averaged less than 30. So I think MAW and Davenport will see their minutes cut from that alone.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #285
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I would prefer to slide Davenport up to the 4 even if not optimal. Get one more high impact wing. Split Davenport minutes with newcomer.

I would think we can find more talent on the wing than at the 4 and 5 right now.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #286
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would prefer to slide Davenport up to the 4 even if not optimal. Get one more high impact wing. Split Davenport minutes with newcomer.

I would think we can find more talent on the wing than at the 4 and 5 right now.
Yup, Davenport's role will surely depend on what transfers we bring in. Also if Lakhin sticks around, I don't know what position he plays or how many minutes he'll be ready to contribute.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:29 PM   #287
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

Agreed, would want Davenport's minutes in the high 20's, with majority at the 4. Allows Newman and MAW to get healthy minutes as well. All about two big transfers at this point, and refilling pipeline with a true frosh or two - need to set up the system with 4 year guys ASAP. Lahkin, Saunders and Madsen all we have. That long term group needs some life. Land a solid transfer 5 and we'll compete, would like to build as well.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:44 PM   #288
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Agreed, would want Davenport's minutes in the high 20's, with majority at the 4. Allows Newman and MAW to get healthy minutes as well. All about two big transfers at this point, and refilling pipeline with a true frosh or two - need to set up the system with 4 year guys ASAP. Lahkin, Saunders and Madsen all we have. That long term group needs some life. Land a solid transfer 5 and we'll compete, would like to build as well.
Will be interesting to see if he tries to balance classes or select best fit that he can get.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #289
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
I have funny feeling DDJ might be out. Doesn’t have height or athleticism Miller looking for in PG. Mickey can get down in paint, he recruited MAW in high school and Mason is tough. Going forward though I doubt he even recruit them type players besides Mikey.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #290
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Give me 5 guys 6’5 or above and tell them all become rim protectors.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote