Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-31-2017, 09:56 AM   #101
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Winning National Championships or always competing for them throughout history would mean there are only 2 or 3 elite programs.
Well whats the word over elite, because I think they would deserve to be in a tier of their own, wouldn't you? I think if UCLA knew we were putting UC on the same tier as them in the history of college basketball they would laugh at us. I would begin to punch them in the face, but seriously I think they would be stunned.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #102
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Your reaction to my comments seems extreme and lazy. I didn't say anything about firing Mick. I do not believe that he deserves to be fired, I also do not believe he is elite.

If you'd like to debate my stance based on facts and the actual words I've posted then I'm all for it.
Are you implying you don't despise Mick? It's weird that you are now acting like your feelings for him are rather neutral, yet your signature (which appears to ironically be gone suddenly) talks about the world going to hell because there's too many Mick supporters. Make up your mind here, bud.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #103
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
So we're tied for 10th all-time in Final 4 appearances.

We're 1 of 15 with multiple National Championships.

We've spent the 10th most time in the AP Poll all-time.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #104
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Well whats the word over elite, because I think they would deserve to be in a tier of their own, wouldn't you? I think if UCLA knew we were putting UC on the same tier as them in the history of college basketball they would laugh at us. I would begin to punch them in the face, but seriously I think they would be stunned.
All-time best?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:07 AM   #105
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
So we're tied for 10th all-time in Final 4 appearances.

We're 1 of 15 with multiple National Championships.

We've spent the 10th most time in the AP Poll all-time.
That is pretty dang good!! I guess I'll say elite. I just didn't know if it was fair to put us up with UK UCLA and such, but I guess so.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #106
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Are you implying you don't despise Mick? It's weird that you are now acting like your feelings for him are rather neutral, yet your signature (which appears to ironically be gone suddenly) talks about the world going to hell because there's too many Mick supporters. Make up your mind here, bud.
No, I'm not implying that because that's not what we discussing, but I'm happy to address it.

I don't despise Mick, I despise excuses and the fact that I believe our program can accomplish more than it has under him. I despise people who settle for less because they don't feel like they're worthy of accomplishing more. You mentioned the "middle ground" earlier and I don't deny that middle ground exists. I'm painfully aware it exists and that it's where Mick Cronin lives, but I despise that middle ground.

My signature isn't gone, it remains, not sure what you're talking about. The second quote on my signature is a joke, meant to be taken as a joke, so lighten up.

Again, happy to have a rational back and forth with you and defend and explain my position all day long but let's deal with facts and not assumptions. If that's how we're going to do it I'd rather just pass.

PS - I've advocated for firing Mick in the past and believe the University could have and should have done it long ago but they didn't. So reality is he's still our coach and I did not once advocate for him to be fired this season because that would be a ridiculous stance to take. I'm willing to evaluate Mick based on results and my standards which is EXACTLY what I've done since he's been here.

Last edited by UCBearcats; 03-31-2017 at 11:18 AM.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:39 PM   #107
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
That is pretty dang good!! I guess I'll say elite. I just didn't know if it was fair to put us up with UK UCLA and such, but I guess so.
I would never argue that UC belongs in the mix with UCLA, Kansas, UK, UNC, Duke and I'm sure a few others. I would argue that UC has every bit as much claim to the next group of programs like UConn, Arizona, Ohio State, Indiana, ect.

I think it's intriguing that you brought up UCLA. UCLA is hands down the greatest program of all time and no one will ever eclipse the run they went on in the mid 60's and early 70's. The mid 60's and early 70's were a LONG time ago though, do you think UCLA fans have any problem accepting their status as greatest of all time?

Before this season UCLA has struggled for a LONG time other than a couple successful years under Ben Howland. Before this season there was already rumbling starting about firing Steve Alford, it's funny how quickly perception can change.

Why is your perception of our historical success so low? You've set the bar with UCLA yet before this season most of their recent history has been rather pedestrian. Why is it that a UCLA fan should want to punch me in the face for saying we're close to them in terms of historical performance yet fans of this program seemingly want to punch me in the face for saying we're elite and we should hold ourselves to a higher standard?

Nothing personal, but I find it mind boggling that we have fans who are passionate enough to post on a message board yet will argue against the fact that we should consider ourselves elite. Truly mind bogging..........
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote