Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKY Bearcat View Post
Yes we should hold ourselves to the standards achieved 75 and 25 years ago, and not the modern world. Its only been 10 years since the iPhone was invented, and nothing has really changed.

I am sure Jordan brand is dying to work with schools out of Conference USA, and local television is going to start bumping prime time television for Bearcat games.
It's funny that you mention the modern world and our apparel brand in the same post. Is there a more modern, forward thinking, creative brand than UA?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #12
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Yes. And the future is looking bright with all the talent we have coming back to a 30 win team, and the arena in the works. Was it Matt Norlander who wrote the article saying we're one of 6 teams to make 20 of the last 25 tournaments? And that includes a complete rebuild. There's a reason we're #10 on that list. We've hit snags here and there, but the overwhelming majority of D1 schools, P5 or not, would trade places with us in a heartbeat. We aren't a blue-blood, but historically speaking, we are solidly in the next tier. That's elite when you consider how many schools there are. A run in the tournament is the only thing missing. But there's nothing stopping us from getting there.
I can agree with a lot of that. Do you think the last 11 years has helped our rating or hindered it?
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I can agree with a lot of that. Do you think the last 11 years has helped our rating or hindered it?
Hindered over the full 11 years bc of the rocky coaching transition (no need to go into that). But in the 7 years we've made the tournament now, we have averaged over 25 wins per season. And believe it or not, 2 of the AAC years have pulled that average down. I don't see that happening again in the near future. But even so, going through your college career never missing the tournament and racking up 100+ career wins doesn't happen for most players.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #14
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Do you think we are a elite program?
We are not. Spoiler alert
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #15
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Hindered over the full 11 years bc of the rocky coaching transition (no need to go into that). But in the 7 years we've made the tournament now, we have averaged over 25 wins per season. And believe it or not, 2 of the AAC years have pulled that average down. I don't see that happening again in the near future. But even so, going through your college career never missing the tournament and racking up 100+ career wins doesn't happen for most players.
We can still debate wanting the Conference Titles, Tournament Titles, etc. There's room for improvement (there always is).

You know what I find interesting is that our 18-0 home season was only the 4th time in 5/3. In that span we actually made more Sweet 16s, won more conference titles, and more conference tournament titles. Just goes to show how difficult it is to run the table at home. That accomplishment can't be minimized when listing things we have/need to accomplish to maintain a successful program.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
We are not. Spoiler alert
I think you're severely overrating the other non-blue bloods. Unless the blue bloods are the only schools you'd consider to be elite.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
agree 100% but there are those posting that will argue that point with you.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #18
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
We can still debate wanting the Conference Titles, Tournament Titles, etc. There's room for improvement (there always is).

You know what I find interesting is that our 18-0 home season was only the 4th time in 5/3. In that span we actually made more Sweet 16s, won more conference titles, and more conference tournament titles. Just goes to show how difficult it is to run the table at home. That accomplishment can't be minimized when listing things we have/need to accomplish to maintain a successful program.
Jake 16-2 in the league is not bad either. One of those losses could have easily be turned around if we make a dunk. We also would have shared the league title.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #19
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think you're severely overrating the other non-blue bloods. Unless the blue bloods are the only schools you'd consider to be elite.
I would say the blue bloods are the only elites. I'd say we are maybe a 3rd teir program. Our postseason sucess hurts us and let's face it, postseason is a big part of college basketball. But I guess everyone's scale would be different
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #20
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I would say the blue bloods are the only elites. I'd say we are maybe a 3rd teir program. Our postseason sucess hurts us and let's face it, postseason is a big part of college basketball. But I guess everyone's scale would be different
This is a historical look at the programs not recent. If you look at what we accomplished under Jucker very few schools have had that kind of run.