Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #11
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
They have a sweet 16, and coulda been 2 sweet 16’s if not a game winner from Michigan.

I mean, Houston is a top 10 team who had the preseason player of the year coming off the bench before he decided to transfer closer to home.

Add in that Fabian white played his first game all season

For a team that has lost 2 starter level players for almost the whole season and still held it down, it says something about their elite culture built from nothing.

Id trade coaches with Houston right now with out a doubt. John brannen hadn’t proven he can coach defense, champions play defense. And oddly enough he’s never had a top 50 offense. Nor top 50 defense. Downplaying Houston is kinda hilarious when John brannen hasn’t proved he can win a tourney game and coach a top 50 defense and offense.

8 mid major teams were in the top 50 in offense in 2018... NKU and brannen were not one of them. 6 or 7 had top 50 defenses. So mid majors can and do break through to the top 50 in offense and defense and John never could at his time at NKU

And yet some of you think that John brannen has all the tools it takes to win in March. It’s baffling
I think we don’t know if Brannen does... but we had proof mick couldn’t.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:59 AM   #12
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
I think we don’t know if Brannen does... but we had proof mick couldn’t.
My whole thing with Mick is... I didn’t mind replacing him if we were sure his replacement was better. I don’t think John fit the bill for being for sure better.

But I’m hoping he will be.

A guy like Nate Oates, you could tell he was a star In waiting from the mid majors. His last two seasons at Buffalo he had a top 50 offense and in his final year had a top 50 offense and defense. That’s a guy you can be sure was better than mick. If he were still on the market when Bohn basically tried to push mick out, then I’d get it. If be thrilled to have him.

Anyway, I have no idea what to expect today. It’s been awhile since UC played a good team. But we need big games from the guards because Houston’s “Monster” defense is going to double every post touch and take Vogt out of the flow early
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #13
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They have a sweet 16, and coulda been 2 sweet 16’s if not a game winner from Michigan.

I mean, Houston is a top 10 team who had the preseason player of the year coming off the bench before he decided to transfer closer to home.

For a team that has lost 2 starter level players for almost the whole season and still held it down, it says something about their elite culture built from nothing.

Id trade coaches with Houston right now with out a doubt. John brannen hadn’t proven he can coach defense, champions play defense. And oddly enough he’s never had a top 50 offense. Nor top 50 defense. Downplaying Houston is kinda hilarious when John brannen hasn’t proved he can win a tourney game and coach a top 50 defense and offense.

8 mid major teams were in the top 50 in offense in 2018... NKU and brannen were not one of them. 6 or 7 had top 50 defenses. So mid majors can and do break through to the top 50 in offense and defense and John never could at his time at NKU

And yet some of you think that John brannen has all the tools it takes to win in March. It’s baffling
You make these kind of excuses for cronin? Or like why do you give everyone else a pass for things they’ve had to endure but when it’s our coaches it’s THEIR fault
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #14
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
You make these kind of excuses for cronin? Or like why do you give everyone else a pass for things they’ve had to endure but when it’s our coaches it’s THEIR fault
This.

He can’t be consistent. It’s really not that hard.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #15
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
My whole thing with Mick is... I didn’t mind replacing him if we were sure his replacement was better. I don’t think John fit the bill for being for sure better.

But I’m hoping he will be.

A guy like Nate Oates, you could tell he was a star In waiting from the mid majors. His last two seasons at Buffalo he had a top 50 offense and in his final year had a top 50 offense and defense. That’s a guy you can be sure was better than mick. If he were still on the market when Bohn basically tried to push mick out, then I’d get it. If be thrilled to have him.

Anyway, I have no idea what to expect today. It’s been awhile since UC played a good team. But we need big games from the guards because Houston’s “Monster” defense is going to double every post touch and take Vogt out of the flow early
I mean brannen dominated at nku for a team that was just promoted to division 1. He had the thing rolling, Saying he didn’t do anything is ignorant. You can not want him? Have someone else in mind, that’s fine. We all have opinions, but acting like he wasn’t qualified, isn’t true
Old 02-21-2021, 09:45 AM   #16
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

No, we are saying he might. Let’s give him a chance. Big difference between that and saying he’s a legend. It’s not that hard of a concept. To give the guy a chance. The guy was at nku. You act like he should have been dominant college basketball. Use a little common sense.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #17
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Well........ Houston is ranked and 100% making the tourney as a top 4 seed.

So clearly Houston muscled through their issues and kept winning. WSU also made no excuses and lead the league in the standings. UCLA losts best player from last year and lost a pivotal big man, they didn’t make excuses either.

John brannen has had a bunch of players leave unexpectedly, has zero recruits for 2021 and is 7-7.

Luckily we played some slump busters and hopefully figure it out. But he takes too damn long to figure his own team out and next year will have a load of new comers to also try and make mesh quickly.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #18
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
No, we are saying he might. Let’s give him a chance. Big difference between that and saying he’s a legend. It’s not that hard of a concept. To give the guy a chance. The guy was at nku. You act like he should have been dominant college basketball. Use a little common sense.
Bruh I just showed you that great coaches at the mid major level
Can and do break through in the low and mid majors when it comes to offensive and defensive efficiency. John was not one of those coaches
Old 02-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #19
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I’m gonna predict a Bearcats victory.

Just because why not. I been placing bets lately which I never did before and so far made money on the Connor/Poirier fight, last nights fight and the super bowl.

Maybe my luck streak keeps going.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #20
Bearcat_Z

Bearcat_Z is on a distinguished road
And if UC loses, you get to pile on more Brannen hate. A win win situation for you.
Bearcat_Z is offline   Reply With Quote