Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #11
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I continue to hold out hope that Brannen will be fired. Until the administration comes out with a statement of support for Brannen, I think there is a chance. It's hard to believe they will remain completely silent.

Cincy Slangin podcast says that they payout drops by $500k if they fire him after April 1st. Not sure where that number comes from, but if true it could mean they are waiting.

Saunders post that on that "door isn't closed" is almost certainly hinting at the firing of Brannen. Saunders burned bridges with Brannen, he had multiple twitter DM's leak that say he is leaving because of Cincinnati. The anonymous player saying he loves everything about being here, except the coach is almost certainly Saunders. Brannen's wife liked posts trashing Saunders for leaving. If the door isn't closed, it's because someone on the inside is still talking to Saunders and telling him Brannen may still be fired.

We are in rebuild mode now. We aren't going to be good next year. So we need to either commit to 2/3 more years of Brannen or fire Brannen now. Waiting to see for 1 year isn't fair to him (he can't recruit for the future) and isn't fair to UC (delays the rebuild).

Maybe it will all be done behind the scenes. Pushing the narrative that the freshmen players were just soft (and please ignore that Sorolla, Rap and Moore left mid-season that Cumberland says he's a mid-major hack, that Harvey was a Sophomore and that the strength coach quit).

But I'd think that if he's going to stay the admin will come out and say he has at least 2 more years and mean it.
Did you see dd support article? I doubt Brannen is getting fired. 500k is nothing, why wait half a month and then try to start the hiring of a new coach... even if they are looking at options now. Missing this transfer market would be a dagger and well worth 500k
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #12
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Did you see dd support article? I doubt Brannen is getting fired. 500k is nothing, why wait half a month and then try to start the hiring of a new coach... even if they are looking at options now. Missing this transfer market would be a dagger and well worth 500k
The DDJ support article is fairly nuanced. He doesn't blame the players who left, says he understands why they did it and that the culture needs to change. That he was closer to the coaches than the other players and an intermediary between the two (the fact that we needed one is a sign of a problem in and of itself). But that he believes in the coaches and that they can and will change.

That's fair, but as a fan I don't think it matters if the coach can change. Brannen wasn't hired to learn how to coach, he wasn't hired to destroy the program to the point that it requires a fresh rebuild in year 3. He was hired to continue a tradition of greatness and instead ran us into the ground.

My view is this, it's going to take a miracle to have an NCAA tournament team next year no matter who is the coach. If you accept that we won't be an NCAA tournament team next year, the question becomes how much does waiting 11 days to fire Brannen hurt us, is it worth 500k? I'd say probably so. Is a rebuild going to be that much harder in 11 days? Probably not.

As I said, the worst thing we can do is wait to see what Brannen does next year. If he is on the hot seat with limited admin support, it makes recruiting even harder and means he has to lean more towards grad transfers over projects.

Either give Brannen 2 years or fire him now. And if they are going to give him 2 years, I'd think they'd come out with a statement of support in light of what has gone on.

Until that statement of support comes out (or until April 2nd) I'm going to hold out hope that Brannen is going to be fired. I'd prefer a new coach who has 4 years to rebuild and who didn't get us into this mess over Brannen who got us into this mess and has at most 2 years to rebuild.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #13
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Quote:
The DDJ support article is fairly nuanced. He doesn't blame the players who left, says he understands why they did it and that the culture needs to change. That he was closer to the coaches than the other players and an intermediary between the two (the fact that we needed one is a sign of a problem in and of itself). But that he believes in the coaches and that they can and will change.

That's fair, but as a fan I don't think it matters if the coach can change. Brannen wasn't hired to learn how to coach, he wasn't hired to destroy the program to the point that it requires a fresh rebuild in year 3. He was hired to continue a tradition of greatness and instead ran us into the ground.

My view is this, it's going to take a miracle to have an NCAA tournament team next year no matter who is the coach. If you accept that we won't be an NCAA tournament team next year, the question becomes how much does waiting 11 days to fire Brannen hurt us, is it worth 500k? I'd say probably so. Is a rebuild going to be that much harder in 11 days? Probably not.

As I said, the worst thing we can do is wait to see what Brannen does next year. If he is on the hot seat with limited admin support, it makes recruiting even harder and means he has to lean more towards grad transfers over projects.

Either give Brannen 2 years or fire him now. And if they are going to give him 2 years, I'd think they'd come out with a statement of support in light of what has gone on.

Until that statement of support comes out (or until April 2nd) I'm going to hold out hope that Brannen is going to be fired. I'd prefer a new coach who has 4 years to rebuild and who didn't get us into this mess over Brannen who got us into this mess and has at most 2 years to rebuild.
Ok. I would still doubt he is fired. However, the lack of a dancing bearcat tweet when spell committed could mean the administration is moving toward termination.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #14
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Ok. I would still doubt he is fired. However, the lack of a dancing bearcat tweet when spell committed could mean the administration is moving toward termination.
It's hard to say, the silence from the administration means anything could be going on right now. It's likely the investigation or decision is still ongoing and that's why nothing has been said/done.

That lack of a dancing bearcats is weird, but could be Brannen trying to prevent a bunch of fans flooding the tweet with off-topic (to Spell's commitment) comments. But Brannen talked last year about how valuable he thinks the dancing bearcat is and how he didn't want to leave guys out (there was one he was questioned on, I forget who, did he put a dancing bearcat for Rob Banks?).

Trying to read tea leaves. The Saunders post of an door not closed is a strong reading that Brannen could still be fired. Doesn't mean he will be, but I can't believe that Saunder's would be considering coming back to play for Brannen.

The Justin Williams articles as good as say that nothing has been decided. In the first an anonymous player (DDJ probably) says he's committed to staying as long Brannen is still the coach. In the second, DDJ is directly quoted as saying. "I think it will come to a head soon"... "We have to see with Mr. Cunningham and the rest of the administration how everything pans out."

Last edited by skyblade; 03-20-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #15
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's hard to say, the silence from the administration means anything could be going on right now. It's likely the investigation or decision is still ongoing and that's why nothing has been said/done.

That lack of a dancing bearcats is weird, but could be Brannen trying to prevent a bunch of fans flooding the tweet with off-topic (to Spell's commitment) comments. But Brannen talked last year about how valuable he thinks the dancing bearcat is and how he didn't want to leave guys out (there was one he was questioned on, I forget who, did he put a dancing bearcat for Rob Banks?).

Trying to read tea leaves. The Saunders post of an door not closed is a strong reading that Brannen could still be fired. Doesn't mean he will be, but I can't believe that Saunder's would be considering coming back to play for Brannen.

The Justin Williams articles as good as say that nothing has been decided. In the first an anonymous player (DDJ probably) says he's committed to staying as long Brannen is still the coach. In the second, DDJ is directly quoted as saying. "I think it will come to a head soon"... "We have to see with Mr. Cunningham and the rest of the administration how everything pans out."
Is really reaching on some of this stuff. You’re trying hard. I expect a full apology if a player returns.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #16
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I continue to hold out hope that Brannen will be fired. Until the administration comes out with a statement of support for Brannen, I think there is a chance. It's hard to believe they will remain completely silent.

Cincy Slangin podcast says that they payout drops by $500k if they fire him after April 1st. Not sure where that number comes from, but if true it could mean they are waiting.

Saunders post that on that "door isn't closed" is almost certainly hinting at the firing of Brannen. Saunders burned bridges with Brannen, he had multiple twitter DM's leak that say he is leaving because of Brannen. The anonymous player saying he loved everything about being here, except the coach is almost certainly Saunders. Brannen's wife liked posts trashing Saunders for leaving. If the door isn't closed, it's because someone on the inside is still talking to Saunders and telling him Brannen may still be fired.

We are in rebuild mode now. We aren't going to be good next year. So we need to either commit to 2/3 more years of Brannen or fire Brannen now. Waiting to see for 1 year isn't fair to him (he can't recruit for the future) and isn't fair to UC (delays the rebuild).

Maybe it will all be done behind the scenes. Pushing the narrative that the freshmen players were just soft (and please ignore that Sorolla, Rap and Moore left mid-season that Cumberland says he's a mid-major hack, that Harvey was a Sophomore and that the strength coach quit).

But I'd think that if he's going to stay the admin will come out and say he has at least 2 more years and mean it.
Why are you obsessed with this Cincy slagin podcast lmao
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:04 PM   #17
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Why are you obsessed with this Cincy slagin podcast lmao
Because he hates Brannen and that matches with them... He can't process that maybe just maybe Saunders is a bit of the problem.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #18
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Sky blade, at least be consistent man. Why do you invest everything in what one player says but then completely write off the ones who support the coach. You act like all the players hate him. That’s clearly not true at this point. I’m leaning more and more towards those guys just can’t handle the heat. I’m still no too happy with Brannen at this point, but your whole outlook is just funny. You keep trying to paint him as some dictator or something idk, some heartless man who mentally abuses and lies to his players, all because a few guys weren’t happy with their role. Mason left probably because his brother did, the rest who really cares, then you’ve got Eason Saunders and Harvey, I could have guess Eason and Harvey would transfer halfway through the season, that leaves one surprise and you’re putting all your eggs in that basket.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:15 PM   #19
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Is really reaching on some of this stuff. You’re trying hard. I expect a full apology if a player returns.
I was being sarcastic when I brought up the lack of a dancing bearcat for Spell. Skyblade ran with it
Old 03-20-2021, 05:20 PM   #20
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Only if I can expect a full apology to the departing players if Brannen is fired. Also, I have only referred to one specific player.

Saunders had two PM's leaked where he said he is leaving because of the coach. Brannen's wife was liking tweets trashing Saunders for leaving. Saunders mom went after Brannen for walking off the court early. This isn't reaching, this is stuff that is easily visible if you've been paying close attention.

Hard to believe Saunders would want to come back after that, hard to believe Brannen would want him back.