Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Juco Help?

Wondering if anybody has heard any good rumors about possible shooting guards for next season. Charlotte was after a kid named Sherrard Brantley that is considered a sharpshooter. With Lutz gone maybe we can get in on him. LSU is also after him. I usually have an ear to some things but haven't heard names just that we're looking.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Wondering if anybody has heard any good rumors about possible shooting guards for next season. Charlotte was after a kid named Sherrard Brantley that is considered a sharpshooter. With Lutz gone maybe we can get in on him. LSU is also after him. I usually have an ear to some things but haven't heard names just that we're looking.
We were recruiting Ricardo Ratliffe heavily in December, but I haven't heard too much as of late.

Of course, he isn't a shooter. He is a dominator of men. 6'9" 240lbs.

Some consider him the best big man in the country, others consider him the top overall player in the country.

#1 JUCO according to JucoJunction.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
I know that we are in on two juco big men. Ricardo Ratliffe, a 6'8 PF, #1 JUCO player according to JUCO Junction, and Andre Clark, a 6'9 PF, #5 JUCO player according to JUCO Junction, are both considering UC.

I haven't heard any names on shooters, but I would be very confident in guessing they are pursuing every possible angle on that as well.

Last edited by Not Guilty; 03-16-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
My thought is if they add it will be a low post guy or sf with a stroke. We'll see though.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #5
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
My thought is if they add it will be a low post guy or sf with a stroke. We'll see though.
Both would be nice. Unfortunately, even with our plethora of SG's, UC still needs a pure shooter. UC just has too many tweeners who are athletic, but masters of nothing.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I think you're right.

Personally, I think this team will be much improved next year. Addition by subtraction........with addition of JJ and Gaines (JJ will play; Gaines will not).

I think that Cash, Parker, Wilks and Davis have shown potential to knock down shots. All four need to become more consistent.

If there isn't a pure shooter available this late in the game, I hope we can bring in a SF/PF. I'd prefer a PF because it is an area of immediate concern. I think JUCO is the way to go because of our class alignment, unless there is a dynamite PF available from the HS ranks.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 View Post
I think you're right.

Personally, I think this team will be much improved next year. Addition by subtraction........with addition of JJ and Gaines (JJ will play; Gaines will not).

I think that Cash, Parker, Wilks and Davis have shown potential to knock down shots. All four need to become more consistent.

If there isn't a pure shooter available this late in the game, I hope we can bring in a SF/PF. I'd prefer a PF because it is an area of immediate concern. I think JUCO is the way to go because of our class alignment, unless there is a dynamite PF available from the HS ranks.
That's why I tiled the thread JUCO Help, because I agree about class alignment. Bishop in my opinion will not be back. As others have said, I saw a tremendous difference in the team with him out. If you can land a Ricardo Ratliffe you do so. The front line will be thin. Gates and Thomas are givens. I agree that JJ will play right away. You need a fourth guy and Biggie isn't the answer. Wilks will play some at PF, but if they go for a big, I look for Wilks to play alot more sf next season. He can shoot, and he's athletic enough to guard. I think (again if a big is signed) you will see a sf by committee depending on who they are playing and the line up employed by them. Kilpatrick, Parker, Wilks, Stephenson will all see minutes there. My hope is that Mick plays 10 guys non-conf and cuts it to 8 come BEast time. I still have my doubts about Mick being the guy, but I truly believe this team will be really good next season. Cash, Stephenson, Wilks/Parker, Gates, Thomas starting. Parker/Wilks, Jackson, Davis/Dixon, and a new big guy off the bench. I also wouldn't mind seeing Cash, Parker, Stephenson, Gates Thomas starting with Parker sliding over to pg and Davis or Dixon coming off the bench at sg. Lots of options.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 03-17-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That's why I tiled the thread JUCO Help, because I agree about class alignment. Bishop in my opinion will not be back. As others have said, I saw a tremendous difference in the team with him out. If you can land a Ricardo Ratliffe you do so. The front line will be thin. Gates and Thomas are givens. I agree that JJ will play right away. You need a fourth guy and Biggie isn't the answer. Wilks will play some at PF, but if they go for a big, I look for Wilks to play alot more sf next season. He can shoot, and he's athletic enough to guard. I think (again if a big is signed) you will see a sf by committee depending on who they are playing and the line up employed by them. Kilpatrick, Parker, Wilks, Stephenson will all see minutes there. My hope is that Mick plays 10 guys non-conf and cuts it to 8 come BEast time. I still have my doubts about Mick being the guy, but I truly believe this team will be really good next season. Cash, Stephenson, Wilks/Parker, Gates, Thomas starting. Parker/Wilks, Jackson, Davis/Dixon, and a new big guy off the bench. I also wouldn't mind seeing Cash, Parker, Stephenson, Gates Thomas starting with Parker sliding over to pg and Davis or Dixon coming off the bench at sg. Lots of options.
I agree that this team will be much better next year. I am hoping that Bishop returns and we can add a JUCO big man, hopefully Ratliffe based on his JUCO ranking. Bishop has the most experience of any of our returning players and if his head is on straight, he could be poised for a big senior season. I expect Wilks to be a big contributor next year. We will see how Wilks finishes this year in the NIT, as hopefully the BE tourney and the NIT will be his coming out party.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote