Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-24-2021, 05:34 AM   #361
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Where is Hensley's 4 star rating coming from? Verbalcommits has him as a 2 star. Rivals says 3 with a 149 ranking, but I wonder if that's a default placeholder value or something like that. On his rankings history graph it shows "NR" throughout, with 149 being the lowest ranking just above NR. I'm confused how he could be so highly regarded and only have one p5 offer and no interest from any other traditional basketball school.

I don't really care about his ranking if Wes is confident in his potential. I just want to know why everyone is saying he was highly rated.
I saw it on 247 but I’ll admit the ranking seemed high. From watching his videos, which isn’t much, I did not see a 4-star but I said the same thing about jarron and he turned out to be really good. I don’t mind taking a chance on the guy, especially in our position.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:09 PM   #362
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Watching Hensley's highlights, I think he will play the 4 almost exclusively. He's got decent athleticism, a high release on his set jump shot, and can finish with both hands on straight line drives with long strides. He isn't all that quick though, and has a high loose dribble, so probably can't cut it at the 3. I think he can grow into a pretty good stretch 4. Comparing to Bryson Spell, I'd say he is a little more athletic and a better slasher, but doesn't appear to be able to create his own shot. Rebounding could be a concern due to limited quickness.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:44 AM   #363
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Watching Hensley's highlights, I think he will play the 4 almost exclusively. He's got decent athleticism, a high release on his set jump shot, and can finish with both hands on straight line drives with long strides. He isn't all that quick though, and has a high loose dribble, so probably can't cut it at the 3. I think he can grow into a pretty good stretch 4. Comparing to Bryson Spell, I'd say he is a little more athletic and a better slasher, but doesn't appear to be able to create his own shot. Rebounding could be a concern due to limited quickness.
Should rebounding be a concern with our entire front court?

I'm not too in-the-know on the analytics side, but I do know that we have to replace our best rebounders (in terms of rebounding%) in Eason, Diarra, Vogt, and even Rap.

Davenport and Koval both had around a 10% rebounding rate. I'm not sure how decent or mediocre that rate is.

Hensley was at ~7% and who knows what Lahkin would add.

It seems like we really need to get some athletic/physical guys with these last few scholarships or we're really going to get pushed around in the post next season.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #364
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Should rebounding be a concern with our entire front court?

I'm not too in-the-know on the analytics side, but I do know that we have to replace our best rebounders (in terms of rebounding%) in Eason, Diarra, Vogt, and even Rap.

Davenport and Koval both had around a 10% rebounding rate. I'm not sure how decent or mediocre that rate is.

Hensley was at ~7% and who knows what Lahkin would add.

It seems like we really need to get some athletic/physical guys with these last few scholarships or we're really going to get pushed around in the post next season.
Yah it's hard to imagine how we are going to be a great rebounding team. And that is supposedly one of CWM pet peeves. I can only assume we are going to add that here in the near future. We need a big time rebounder as a 4/5 and possibly even whatever scoring wing we bring in should be good at rebounding as well.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #365
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Rebounding is our biggest need right now for sure. The only rebounder I have seen us involved with is Langston Wilson, but he has a ton of offers. Most twitter chatter is from Texas Tech and Maryland. I hope Wes has some options. I would take Abdulsalam from UNCG in a heartbeat.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #366
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Rebounding is our biggest need right now for sure. The only rebounder I have seen us involved with is Langston Wilson, but he has a ton of offers. Most twitter chatter is from Texas Tech and Maryland. I hope Wes has some options. I would take Abdulsalam from UNCG in a heartbeat.
I think you might be right in the end Sedz. Abdulsalam if we can't get the guy we want. His rebound rate is what we need (assuming he is also mobile enough to switch and guard perimeter a little).
Old 04-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #367
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Offensive rebounding rate is what I look at to gauge rebounding ability. Defensive rebounding has more to do with scheme. A defensive rebound is much more likely to be uncontested. DDJ and Mason both had DReb rates of 16.7, but OReb rates around 1. Rap led the team in DReb rate, but had an OReb rate below 3.

The average team OReb rate is 28. Splitting that up into positions works out to something like: C-9, PF-8, SF-6, SG-3, PG-2.

Here's our roster:
C (avg 9): Koval 5.6
PF (avg 8): Davenport 4.8, Hensley 2.5
SF (avg 6): Newman 4.0
SG (avg 3): MAW 1.6, Madsen 1.1
PG (avg 2): DeJulius 1.0, Saunders 1.3

Departures include Eason 12.6, Diarra 10.9, Vogt 8.6, and Keith 6.1. So yes, we have a huge rebounding hole to fill. Everyone on our roster is a below average rebounder.

We have shown interest in Meikkel Murray, a 6'6" wing whose 6.6 OReb rate would be the best on our team. There are 24 transfers available who have an 8+ OReb rate that played at least 15 mpg. I think our top priority has to be landing one of them. Abdulsalam's OReb rate is 15.4, better than any available transfer, which is why I have been talking about him so much.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:08 AM   #368
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
If we looking to press after makes, I think that will help with Oreb. The wings and guards should see uptick by just hustling more
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #369
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Offensive rebounding rate is what I look at to gauge rebounding ability. Defensive rebounding has more to do with scheme. A defensive rebound is much more likely to be uncontested. DDJ and Mason both had DReb rates of 16.7, but OReb rates around 1. Rap led the team in DReb rate, but had an OReb rate below 3.

The average team OReb rate is 28. Splitting that up into positions works out to something like: C-9, PF-8, SF-6, SG-3, PG-2.

Here's our roster:
C (avg 9): Koval 5.6
PF (avg 8): Davenport 4.8, Hensley 2.5
SF (avg 6): Newman 4.0
SG (avg 3): MAW 1.6, Madsen 1.1
PG (avg 2): DeJulius 1.0, Saunders 1.3

Departures include Eason 12.6, Diarra 10.9, Vogt 8.6, and Keith 6.1. So yes, we have a huge rebounding hole to fill. Everyone on our roster is a below average rebounder.

We have shown interest in Meikkel Murray, a 6'6" wing whose 6.6 OReb rate would be the best on our team. There are 24 transfers available who have an 8+ OReb rate that played at least 15 mpg. I think our top priority has to be landing one of them. Abdulsalam's OReb rate is 15.4, better than any available transfer, which is why I have been talking about him so much.
Rainman: 246 toothpicks

Good Will Hunting: I knew you before you were a mathematical god, when you were pimple-faced and homesick and didn't know what side of the bed to piss on!

Money Ball: “we're a small market team and you're a small market GM. I'm asking you to be okay not spending money that I don't have. And I'm asking you to take a deep breath, shake off the loss, get back in a room with your guys and figure out how to find replacements for the guys we lost with the money that we do have.”
Old 04-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #370
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
If we looking to press after makes, I think that will help with Oreb. The wings and guards should see uptick by just hustling more
Yes, that should be true. It would be nice to have some actual good rebounders, but I think our scheme will give a bump to everyone's numbers. The good teams that have terrible OReb rates are teams that pull everyone back to completely shut down the transition game (Virginia, Wisconsin, Maryland). We aren't going to be one of those teams. But it appears we have zero players that have good rebounding ability. Scheme can only help so much with that.