Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2022, 06:49 PM   #91
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Ody also showed a fair amount of offensive skill. Ody struggled to stay on the court because of his defense and high foul rate. There's at least some reason to believe that his defensive struggles were partly due to learning a new system, with a full off-season he should improve.

Vik on the other hand seems to have a really good one-on-one game, but not so much on the team game side. Another year in the system should help him a lot. His defense was better than Ody's, but he still struggled at times.

Both Ody and Vik put up good rebounding numbers, especially offensive rebounds.

Any big we add is likely to have as many or more flaws as Ody/Vik and less time to learn Miller's system. I think Ody/Vik are more likely to become a big man who can defend, rebound and score than any portal guy. Guys who can do everything either go to a blue-blood or go pro.
I would agree. Not sure we are getting a sure starter big from portal. If we are getting a starter it’s at PG. Outside chance at hybrid forward
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:03 PM   #92
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would agree. Not sure we are getting a sure starter big from portal. If we are getting a starter it’s at PG. Outside chance at hybrid forward
Yeah, starting PG is our biggest need. If we're going to get a starter it will be a guard (possibly SG if we give DDJ some PG minutes).

A young backup PG/SG is arguably as big of a need. The only guard we will have developing in the pipeline is Skillings and he is more of a guard forward, not likely to play PG.

Then the final piece to add is a rotational PF/C, but in my mind it's the least important. We could manage without, though an injury could cause problems if tried. Probably a defense first guy, given that both Lakhin and Ody struggled on the defensive end last year.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:18 AM   #93
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
The portal continues to fill up. There are tons of options for guards that can either score or distribute.

Tristan Newton of ECU seems like an ideal target. 6'5" efficient scorer with one of the highest assist rates in the portal who can play multiple positions. He probably wants to move to a better league though. Maybe someone like Terry Roberts of Bradley would be more realistic. He's a good passer at 6'3" and an average scorer with a high steal rate. That might fit the Wes Miller mold.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:52 AM   #94
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Kalu Ezikpe narrowed his list to us, LSU, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Pitt, and Western Kentucky.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:09 PM   #95
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Kalu Ezikpe narrowed his list to us, LSU, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Pitt, and Western Kentucky.
You'd have to feel pretty good about where we stand amongst those options unless the new LSU guy from Murray St makes a killing in the portal.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:22 PM   #96
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
My real deal nephew entered portal today. Eric Gaines- PG-LSU, was late bloomer top 150 from lithonia, GA. He's one of the top PG targets for us right now. Perfect player run Wes system. Has a Ja Morant type game.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:22 PM   #97
TheRealMick
Elite Member

I mentioned him as target for us when he was in high school.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:40 AM   #98
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Gaines has a high steal rate and gets to the rim and free throw line a lot, which are all things we have been missing from our guards. He's only an average scorer and turns the ball over a lot, but I'd expect improvement in those areas with 3 years eligibility remaining. Would be a great pickup if there is mutual interest.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:26 AM   #99
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Gaines has a high steal rate and gets to the rim and free throw line a lot, which are all things we have been missing from our guards. He's only an average scorer and turns the ball over a lot, but I'd expect improvement in those areas with 3 years eligibility remaining. Would be a great pickup if there is mutual interest.
His the best version of Isaiah Miller we're going to find. His scoring numbers have been average but he's a SCORER. Too many guys on roster afraid to have ball in their hands. We need guys that's not afraid make layups or dunks.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:06 PM   #100
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Saunders committed to Utah earlier today.

Utah returns their starting PG from this past year (their back-up transferred out) but considering the team finished 11-20 and #122 in KenPom, I'm sure Saunders will have a chance to compete for that starting position.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote