Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #141
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post

The fact you can definitely say that UNCG would have blown UC out last year tells me pretty much everything I need to know. And that is that you're simply not worth the time.

UC beat Furman last season. Guess who Furman beat? UNCG.
I am not making theoretical game predictions. However, the SoCon last year finished just below the AAC in conference strength. UNCG won that conference and UC finished 5th. Probably not a lot of difference there.

We beat Furman by 5 at home. UNCG beat Furman by 6 at home.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #142
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
UC beat Furman last season. Guess who Furman beat? UNCG.
UNCG lost at Furman but beat them at home. Their only losses after the middle of January were at Furman and against a couple of teams who made 14 threes, which can happen to anybody. They played really well in the second half of the season.

Listing their bad losses is easy because most of their games were against bad teams. If we would have played the same schedule we'd have a bunch of bad losses too. We lost to USF and Tulsa at home. We needed a miracle to win at Tulsa. We were losing most of the games against Lipscomb and at Tulane. We started playing well at the very end of the season, same as UNCG.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #143
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I am not making theoretical game predictions. However, the SoCon last year finished just below the AAC in conference strength. UNCG won that conference and UC finished 5th. Probably not a lot of difference there.

We beat Furman by 5 at home. UNCG beat Furman by 6 at home.
I mean, unless you support the idea that UNCG would have blown out UC I'm not sure why we're even discussing this.

It's an idiotic statement. You can't present that as a definitive fact, which is exactly what he did.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #144
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't really know how long he spent at either position, although I was under the impression it was a year on the bench and a year in the adminstration.

To be honest, I don't really care either.

All people are asking is the same thing you demanded when we thought Martin was hired, support.

Now when you were blasting people then for not researching and not being thrilled about Martin, I guess you didn't make it clear you just demanded support for a month, and then if he did things we didn't agree with it would be time to bash him.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #145
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
UNCG lost at Furman but beat them at home. Their only losses after the middle of January were at Furman and against a couple of teams who made 14 threes, which can happen to anybody. They played really well in the second half of the season.

Listing their bad losses is easy because most of their games were against bad teams. If we would have played the same schedule we'd have a bunch of bad losses too. We lost to USF and Tulsa at home. We needed a miracle to win at Tulsa. We were losing most of the games against Lipscomb and at Tulane. We started playing well at the very end of the season, same as UNCG.
Honestly, I really don't care. UNCG played an absolutely garbage schedule and it's impossible to predict how they would have fared against UC.

The idea that it's a stone cold fact they were a better team, even marginally, is not at all verifiable. The idea that we would blow us out is downright absurd.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:29 AM   #146
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I mean, unless you support the idea that UNCG would have blown out UC I'm not sure why we're even discussing this.

It's an idiotic statement. You can't present that as a definitive fact, which is exactly what he did.
Can you present as "definitive fact" that Ody or Newman (or any other recruit) can't play 20+ minutes on a top 50 team by the time they leave UC?
Old 05-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #147
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
All people are asking is the same thing you demanded when we thought Martin was hired, support.

Now when you were blasting people then for not researching and not being thrilled about Martin, I guess you didn't make it clear you just demanded support for a month, and then if he did things we didn't agree with it would be time to bash him.
Define "support".

I don't dislike Wes Miller personally. I haven't written him off as a coach or anything like that. I plan on going down to a few games like I always go, and I plan on watching the others on TV. I will root for this team, and hope for the best.

All that said, I see no reason why I can't criticize him just because he's new. I haven't liked the approach thus far and I'm sharing my opinion. I just don't understand how that equates to not supporting him or the school.

I criticized Huggs (He got the least of it). I criticized Mick (He got the most of it). And I criticized Brannen (He apparently didn't get enough of it).

From my perspective people are overly-sensitive just because he's so new. and I get that to extent. But this is all we have to talk about right now. These hires and signings. There's no games to talk about, there's no schedule to review, there's no 2022 class to debate. This is it.

I just haven't been impressed. I expected a lot more from a guy that the local media and BCJ creamed over when he was hired. Why am I not allowed to talk about that?
Old 05-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #148
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Can you present as "definitive fact" that Ody or Newman (or any other recruit) can't play 20+ minutes on a top 50 team by the time they leave UC?
Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking me if UC can be a top 50 team by the time they leave, and do I think they'll play 20 minutes plus?

If that's question then there is no definitive answer. We will have to wait and see. I personally think the minutes are there for both, but I don't see this team anywhere close to top 50 in 2021.

Now if you're asking me if they could have had they went elsewhere, I'm not sure there's a definitive answer to that either. Although it's easily argued that is highly unlikely.

Ody Aguama barely averaged 20 minutes a game (21.6) for team that was nowhere even remotely close to the top 50. Wake Forest finished 175th in Ken Pom's ranking.

Newman actually did come from a top 50 team in 2020. Clemson was 45th in the Ken Pom rankings (I'm just using Ken Pom for conversation's sake.) But he only played 12 mintues a game for that team. Now of course this is where someone will point out that he played 30 minutes a game a year prior. But that Clemson stunk and wasn't top 50. They finished at 72nd. I'm also going to question whether he would have been able to moving forward just because of the fact he commited to UNCG. Guys that can see 20+ minutes on top 50 teams don't transfer to UNCG, which is why he got the hell out of there as soon as could and transfered here.

Not sure if this is what you were asking but I took a stab at it anyways.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:06 AM   #149
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking me if UC can be a top 50 team by the time they leave, and do I think they'll play 20 minutes plus?
Oh come on. I didn't ask if UC could be a top 50 team. I asked (because you have implied or stated directly) that you don't think any of these guys could play 20+ minutes for a decent program or start for a top 50 program.

Like I said earlier, this is how far this program has fallen. A poster wants a few players that aren't exclusively from North Carolina and/or who would actually play 20+ minutes for a decent program. That's such an outlandish want that it gets branded as completely unreasonable.

Ody is just a soph and Newman had an injury year last year but he was the highest minute getter the year prior whether they were top 50 or not. That doesn't tell me (or anyone) he would be the one to recruit over...it tells me that his injury played a big part in his production.

And we have no idea whether Hensley or McGinnis could develop over the course of 3 years to play at a top 50 team level.

And we still have to add at least one player and by most accounts it seems that Wes will be aiming for the fence. And if anything else opens up...he will likely do that again.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #150
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Newman actually did come from a top 50 team in 2020. Clemson was 45th in the Ken Pom rankings (I'm just using Ken Pom for conversation's sake.) But he only played 12 mintues a game for that team. Now of course this is where someone will point out that he played 30 minutes a game a year prior.
I'll point out that he played 17+ minutes in half his games last year on a top 50 team. He played 23+ minutes in wins over Maryland, Alabama, and Florida St. His best offensive game was 12 pts in 23 minutes against Florida St. He played 29 minutes against Georgia Tech. In early January and then late in the year his minutes were drastically reduced, which brought his average down. Whatever the reason for that (injury or otherwise) Newman was playing 20+ minutes for a top 50 team.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote