Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #11
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
In my best John Madden voice... "This guy NTS thinks he knows about basketball and recruiting but he always ends up looking like a retard" (this is where I use the teleprompter to circle the fat guy at Wendy's with chocolate frostie all over his green Lantern tshirt)
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #12
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Scouting report continued........

Mick Cronin - Recruiting is lacking, fails to bring in players who can score the basketball. Player development is poor. Too often players regress in his system. Believes that offense doesn't matter, if we score 20 we can hold the other team to 19 if his players would just listen to him and be perfect on defense.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #13
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Scouting report continued........

Mick Cronin - Recruiting is lacking, fails to bring in players who can score the basketball. Player development is poor. Too often players regress in his system. Believes that offense doesn't matter, if we score 20 we can hold the other team to 19 if his players would just listen to him and be perfect on defense.
Bingo. But wait none of us are correct until NTS weighs in with his ungodly stupid analysis.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #14
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
Bingo. But wait none of us are correct until NTS weighs in with his ungodly stupid analysis.
Do they allow you to be on your phone during work? Doesn't the cash register need to be attended to?
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #15
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Do they allow you to be on your phone during work? Doesn't the cash register need to be attended to?
You do realize I make more money than you right? Lol. Your right GE has cash registers.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #16
BCM
Epic Member

BCM is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh god we're coworkers and I hate it when they have me on register. I sometimes forget how many 0s to press when Boeing comes for a new turbofan. The carts are massive and heavy too
BCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #17
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
You do realize I make more money than you right? Lol. Your right GE has cash registers.
Based on your track record of accuracy, I believe this 100% Mr. Grimes.

Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #18
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
One of my biggest complaints to date would be the lack of player development with this current team. We have a ton of Juniors and Seniors but no one looks better than last year. (Against real competition)

I thought Cobb took a huge step but so far, disappears against good teams.

Caupain- looks the same to me, still refuses to create and drive to the hoop consistently.

KJ-great on ball defense but looks the same to me. Turnovers and bad passing.

Ellis, Deberry, not good footwork, not good post moves, throws up bricks around the hoop. Do they look better than last year? No.

Our upperclassman look the same but have a little more muscle which they don't even utilize.

Clark has been really disappointing too. Did he even play against Xavier?

I certainly question Cronin's game plan against X but at the same time I hold players responsible too. They look shooked, scared etc, throwing up ugly bricks that had no chance. Where is the bball IQ? We have enough upperclassman and game experience to figure out to win. But it doesn't happen.

We basically have 2 head coaches who can't get their players fundamentally better? That's a problem.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This isn't a reaction from the Xavier game but more of what I've witnessed. It's time to honest with ourselves about the guys we have. I'm pointing of cons and ways to improve for each not strong points.

Troy Caupain- sometimes tries too hard to control the game instead of imposing his own pace. Unsure of himself on offense when running sets. Settles for too many jumpers when he has shown plenty of ability to finish at rim.

Would prefer more driving yes

Farad Cobb- one trick pony. Good set shooter from three but a poor handler of the ball for a guard. Dribbles into corner then picks it up and gets trapped too many times. Can't be trusted on defense because it seems he takes possessions off down there.

I don't think he's got poor handles and he goes to the corner a lot because he tends to make some jumpers and floaters...although that means sometimes you will get caught there.

Shaq Thomas- horrible jumpshot and relies on it way too much. Isn't physical enough around the paint/rim. Prone to turnovers off the bounce and too many lazy passes on the perimeter.

He can make the mid range jumper and I wish he would shoot more of them because he can't be blocked with his jumping ability.

Gary Clark- doesn't command the ball enough and has trouble consistently sealing his man down low. Has trouble passing out of the post and beyond his 2-3 post moves has no consistent offensive game.

2-3 post moves are fine with me

Octavious Ellis- his defense is extremely overrated. Too often he is sealed by his man in the paint and beaten on simple post moves. Has too much trouble finishing around the rim for a guy with his size and skill.

I agree with his low post D but other than that his mobility for steals and blocking is great.

Kevin Johnson- maybe the worst passing guard I've ever seen. His passes are lazy and telegraphed and easily stolen. Isn't a great handler and other than an occasional 3 pointer, has no real offensive game.

Has a nice mid range jumper but has trouble creating it. Does telegraph.

Jacob Evans- lazy of defense and caught out of position especially in transition. Doesn't use his size and skill enough in attacking the basket on offense.

I wouldn't say lazy but I would rather him be a lock down guy. He gets to the rim easier than most of the others...and would like to see more

Coreontae DeBerry- slow to rotate on defense and struggles to recover on pick and roll. On offense he has no real go to post move other than to power the ball up. Endurance and consistent effort has always been an issue.

I think he has one almost unstoppable move which is the right hook. Other than that I agree. Not worried about his post moves at all.

Justin Jenifer- relies too much on a flawed jumpshot. Plays out of control at times when he is initiating the offense. Below average defender who plays for the steal too much instead of playing solid all around defense.

okay..I can agree

Quadri Moore- raw in every sense of the word. Offensively he is always in a rush which makes every post move or jumpshot look awful. Defensively he is lost and late on rotation.

He needs work

To me the reoccurring theme here is on the offensive end of the court. It's my opinion as of now it's about coaching and putting players in a position to succeed. I would make Clark my 5 and Ellis my 4 just on the offensive end. Tell Capuain to push the ball and get into the sets by the time the shot clock is at 24 seconds. New starting lineup would be:

PG Troy Capuain
SG Jacob Evans
SF Shaq Thomas
PF Gary Clark
C Octavious Ellis
^^..............................................
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote