Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
One of the first things BK did at ND was to change a number of non-football related things. He set up a training table, and had video games/foosball type stuff put in the area around the weight room.
When Jones came here, he had the players do team-building exercises (the video is in the Butch Jones Blog thread).

Why did they do these things? Team unity. It's about knowing each other, fighting FOR each other, and becoming together. I know there are players on the football team that rarely if ever talked to one another...so I applaud what BJ did.

I'm not suggesting that your opinion is wrong, or that I'm right, but I am saying that as a coach, I wouldn't like it one bit. I would also do things similiar to what BK and BJ are doing. The biggest problem I have with it is timing. Weber St should have been the common enemy, not ourselves.
BTW-did you notice how crappy the team started out? Related? Maybe not, but who knows.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
One of the first things BK did at ND was to change a number of non-football related things. He set up a training table, and had video games/foosball type stuff put in the area around the weight room.
When Jones came here, he had the players do team-building exercises (the video is in the Butch Jones Blog thread).

Why did they do these things? Team unity. It's about knowing each other, fighting FOR each other, and becoming together. I know there are players on the football team that rarely if ever talked to one another...so I applaud what BJ did.

I'm not suggesting that your opinion is wrong, or that I'm right, but I am saying that as a coach, I wouldn't like it one bit. I would also do things similiar to what BK and BJ are doing. The biggest problem I have with it is timing. Weber St should have been the common enemy, not ourselves.
BTW-did you notice how crappy the team started out? Related? Maybe not, but who knows.
I can see your argument, but these guys aren't girls. Meaning grudges aren't held for months and years. Often grudges between men help propel them further, ignite the team and are over in a matter of minutes.

Along more of the lines you are thinking. I truly believe a lot of this is due to that fact that players don't know their roles. For instance, Toyloy has no business trying to score. He is in there for defense and offensive rebounding. Dear God, please no jumpers from him anymore. Not everyone can be the go to man on the team.
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote