Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Capuain vs Guyn

Im not sure if a thread has been opened on this topic so i figure I would start the conversation. Stats and eye test tell us Troy capuain is a better PG and all around player than Guyn so one has to wonder why he isn't starting. Maybe mick values guyns defense so much he is willing to look past the offensive end. IMO I don't think we can rest on our laurels and go all D and some O in the tourney and expect to have great success. It seems we get off to sluggish starts and that has to change ASAP because if we run into a Florida, Syracuse, Kansas or team of that caliber in the tourney and get off to a bad start they will bury us. I would think capuain starting and playing the large majority of minutes at PG would be beneficial to this team. Also don't be surprised if Troy surpasses Guyn starting next season.
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I've thought all season TC should start and I think if he had he would be further ahead than he is now. That's just my opinion and with the overall season things have gone well. I just think something needs to be shaken at this point.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
We need both to play well. Everyone wants to hand 30 minutes to Troy, but he's not ready for that yet. He's had trouble lately just picking up his assignment in transition.
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I've thought all season TC should start and I think if he had he would be further ahead than he is now. That's just my opinion and with the overall season things have gone well. I just think something needs to be shaken at this point.
Through the preseason Guyn looked good and TC looked like a 17 year-old. A good one but still raw. The Bearcats continued to win and I think status quo set in with our starting five. For awhile there we saw Caupain getting alot more minutes than Guyn. Then conference play heated up and Caupain's D showed it's weakness and we know how Cronin values defensive play. And again we kept winning so no reason to change up your starting line-up. Guyn has done a good job against some of the good guards in this league and that doesn't show up in the stat sheet. His offense and his ability to run the offense are frustrating at best. Caupain looks better but at he same time doesn't exactly light it up when on the floor. Plus I think he likes him in with the second team for the dynamic that brings. This team is what it is at this point. I'm not sure changing things up with a team that already looks lost half the time is the best solution to the problem. I don't think Caupain starting will help Rubles and JJ hit point blank shots. Or Shaq be able to muscle through even the slightest contact. Guyn brings D which helps us hold opponents under 60 which is still our best approach to winning. Teams come out with a gameplan and usually attack on offense early. Having your much better defender in there for that keeps us from possibly getting run over early and having to play catch-up. Then when we put the back-ups in all of a sudden maybe the offense looks better and we can make a run. The approach has worked. We are struggling now because we are playing teams a second and a third time and they know how to stop us and have adjusted to our defense. With all that said, I hope Caupain wins the starting job next year at the point. He needs to sure up his defense. Proper training will get him stronger and quicker.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Guyn did an excellent job of guarding both UConn guards in every matchup, it was hard to play Caupain over him last night.

I get annoyed at how slow Guyn brings up the ball, it just isn't in his skill set to push the ball like Troy Caupain.

I am excited to see Caupain and Johnson as a future backcourt. Both have a great skill level and high basketball IQ.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I think GG's defense is greatly overrated by the fan base and while he might be better at D that TC, TC is no scrub himself on the defensive end. TC is a fantastic off ball defender and great rebounder for a guard.

GG is very good playing a full court press defense. I don't think his half court defense is much better than TC's at all. Some advanced defensive metrics support this conclusion, but who knows how reliable advanced defensive metrics are.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Guyn did an excellent job of guarding both UConn guards in every matchup, it was hard to play Caupain over him last night.

I get annoyed at how slow Guyn brings up the ball, it just isn't in his skill set to push the ball like Troy Caupain.

I am excited to see Caupain and Johnson as a future backcourt. Both have a great skill level and high basketball IQ.
Me to buddy, me too. I think they will be the best all around backcourt we have had in years.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Me to buddy, me too. I think they will be the best all around backcourt we have had in years.
Morman could surprise as well. Potentially throw Torian Graham in there and that '15-'16 season will be a really exciting one.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Morman could surprise as well. Potentially throw Torian Graham in there and that '15-'16 season will be a really exciting one.
I have said I think they will remind people of Gibson, Jackson and Van Exel.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
On the radio show Monday, Mick said that exact same thing. He said that Mormon will remind people of T Rat